1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Panguin Tool: See how Google's algorithm updates have impacted your traffic

Found this tool online and thought it was interesting. Sure some people here would be interested.

You log in to Google Analytics via the site and it displays all the Penguin and Panda and other Google updates across your timeline so you can see what you might have been affected by according to the update dates and your corresponding traffic dips.

http://www.panguintool.com/
  3. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You log into your google account from this site. That sounds a bit like a data collector. This site will be able to capture your log-in information. That don't sound good.
  5. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I don't really see the need for such a tool, if you follow the changes in the algo that google makes you would know the time frames to check for changes in your analytics data.

Tom, I checked the site out, its run by barracuda-digital.co.uk who have been arond since 2000 and look to be reputable so I would guess the site would be quite safe to use.

Plus "We never see or save any of your data. We are using the standard OAuth 2.0 to handle your authentication safely." with a link to oauth and the link to login to analytics is genuine, so I would say its safe.

But people saying it don't work in the comments so not sure.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Yeh I was a bit skeptical too about logging into analytics via another site, but at the same time Im in a pretty desperate situation.

I got it working fine using Firefox, as recommended in the comments.

I defo noticed some keywords, and overall traffic drops on
    March 23rd (Panda)
    April 3rd (Google changes how local queries are interpreted)
    April 24-25th (Penguin)

I will change my Google password now to be on the safe side, but felt it was worth the gamble.
  9. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by devcfc
    Yeh I was a bit skeptical too about logging into analytics via another site, but at the same time Im in a pretty desperate situation.

I got it working fine using Firefox, as recommended in the comments.

I defo noticed some keywords, and overall traffic drops on
    March 23rd (Panda)
    April 3rd (Google changes how local queries are interpreted)
    April 24-25th (Penguin)

I will change my Google password now to be on the safe side, but felt it was worth the gamble.
    Could you possible provide a screen shot? This might help others decide.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by joshz
    Could you possible provide a screen shot? This might help others decide.
    Done.

Its best to change the "Period" drop down to "Day" when you use it so you can see the daily drops when Panda and Penguin are launched. I seem to have dips from both.

Comments on this post

• joshz agrees : Thanks! Looks like you could just create notes in GA to do the same thing. Nice share though.
    Attached Images
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

This is a good page to reference whilst you use the panguin tool to see what the updates where about that hit your traffic: http://www.seomoz.org/google-algorithm-change

EDIT- in fact nevermind. Details of the updates are included in the tool when you hover over the updates.
    Last edited by devcfc; Oct 18th, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Dont know if anyone has been following this thread: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/webmasters/6q9QwWmAIJc/coaRhhyNZMgJ

On the subject of Panda and Penguin penalties being teamed up and mixed together I thought this was an interesting post:

"Hi dyoc --

Yes, I'm still doing fine. I still can't tell you why I've improved, but it's still all good.The only other thing I can offer is that one of my pages which had probably been hit by Panda about a year ago is also recovered, so maybe the Panda-focused improvements that I made allowed me to overcome the Penguin penalty, or maybe the penalization is being done by Panda, taking a Penguin score into account, so fixing Panda issues will cure a seemingly-Penguin penalty"
  17. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

I don't see the point in the site really..

It's not that hard to look at your drop off in traffic and cross reference it with a list algorithm history is it?.

Comments on this post

• Test-ok agrees
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  19. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by NathanielB
    Tom, I checked the site out, its run by barracuda-digital.co.uk who have been arond since 2000 and look to be reputable so I would guess the site would be quite safe to use.
    I would never use my log-in on someone elses site. Why chance it? like Darren said it's easy enough to just look for yourself.
    reputable?? so is BofA, Wall Street, many thought Bernie Madoff was too. I wouldn't trust it reputable or not. It's just not something you do.