1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Was Panda proofing site a waste of time?

Was hit by Panda a few years back and spent along time improving site, culling thin/spammy pages, improving speed, design etc.

I am reading at how google is no longer doing any panda updates and instead is rolling it out in the normal serps.
    Personally, I dont believe that. I think they've messed panda up and don't know were to go on it. Either way, I see no benefit for the work I have done
    with everything telling me that it's really about link juice and this whole Panda thing is a smoke screen.

Any thoughts?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google is adding Panda to their core algorithm which means they can make small adjustments here and there as opposed to rolling out mass updates. Panda still exists. Are you sure you were hit with Panda?
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by cunning_stunt
    Was hit by Panda a few years back and spent along time improving site, culling thin/spammy pages, improving speed, design etc.

I am reading at how google is no longer doing any panda updates and instead is rolling it out in the normal serps.
    Personally, I dont believe that. I think they've messed panda up and don't know were to go on it. Either way, I see no benefit for the work I have done
    with everything telling me that it's really about link juice and this whole Panda thing is a smoke screen.

Any thoughts?
    Dont know which Google are you targetting (.com,.uk...), but generally I can tell you that in most central and eastern european countries Panda simply does not work at all. Almost all of the ecommerce websites in top10 for phrases with more monthly searches than 10k have thin/copied/non-existent content
    What just really matters Ive noticed is just Domain Authority and link juice from spamming the ss... out of forums and forums sigs (contrary to what can you read here that it does not work). I believe that this content is king global histeria is just a nice way to fool people to improve the quality of search

Comments on this post

• whiterabbit agrees : Yeah, I've seen the same thing for eastern european sites...and for central and latin american sites too
  7. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Google is adding Panda to their core algorithm which means they can make small adjustments here and there as opposed to rolling out mass updates
    True, don't believe that panda is dead or that is is useless, I personally think it is a good thing may be because none of my site were never hit and I generally took advantage of every update. But you should think about Google algo in a global way not just having a patch related vision.

Almost all of the ecommerce websites in top10 for phrases with more monthly searches than 10k have thin/copied/non-existent content
    True and false. Content doesn't mean a lot of text even if by default this is what most people think. Second, i don't know exactly which domains you are talking about but a lots of these site have strong backlinks profiles (not just spam links) as well as very old domains which is extremely important as far as page importance is concerned, this factor helps Google determining lasting website. How ether i'm pretty convinced that for e-commerce websites tracking conversion rate in analytics (and having a high conversion rate) helps for SEO even if it shouldn't.

I believe that this content is king global histeria
    Generally speaking i'm on your side on this one just looking what is happening with Adwords spots (no more sidebar and a fourth ad on top) deeply show that Google aims for money but it is a company not a charity so we need to cope with it. But if you put to pieces of content on equal websites and on equally optimized pages, it's most likely to be the more informative and complete piece of content that will show up.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Gaizka
    Dont know which Google are you targetting (.com,.uk...), but generally I can tell you that in most central and eastern european countries Panda simply does not work at all. Almost all of the ecommerce websites in top10 for phrases with more monthly searches than 10k have thin/copied/non-existent content
    Absolutely spot on. The Panda judges a site based on how it compares to other high quality/low quality sites (I believe it fingerprints a website based its 2 to 5 word-long phrase usage). The algorithm needs a large sample of data and small country markets don't have it.

And Panda still works.