1. Not An Expert
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Panda is Now Baked into Google's Core Ranking Algorithm

The SEM Post has some excellent coverage of the news.

Basically:
    - Google probably won't confirm Panda updates in the future.
    - Core ranking algo updates in the future will probably lead to a lot of speculation about "was Panda updated too?"
    - Although Panda is no longer an extra filter and is now part of the core algo, it is not real-time, at least according to Gary Illyes and John Mueller.

Google itself worked with The SEM Post to produce a wiki-style guide to Panda, which you can find over here.

Comments on this post

• HCFGrizzly agrees
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

This is great, hopefully this is the push I need to convince one of my sites to finally sort their stuff out.
    Always happy to help in private message. | Learn about my latest project Can You Get Automated Pages To Rank In Google?
    Useful Links: Useful SEO Tools | GTmetrix | FileOptimizer | Cloudflare
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Great news. This explains the fluctuations in SERPs people have been seeing in the last days. People got all pumped up that Penguin 4.0 was launched but Google clarified that it was just a core update.
    HCF - Where Every Affiliate is Happy, Calm & Focused
  7. Not An Expert

Originally Posted by HCFGrizzly
    Great news. This explains the fluctuations in SERPs people have been seeing in the last days. People got all pumped up that Penguin 4.0 was launched but Google clarified that it was just a core update.
    I've heard that the core algorithm update that occurred over the weekend was in addition to Panda being added. Panda was definitely added to the core algo, and the core algo was also updated - I don't know what that core algo update contained other than Panda being added to it.

Honestly, it's all quite confusing to me

https://twitter.com/methode/status/686939682240917506

Gary Illyes: We had a core algo update, and independently we revealed more about Panda through The SEM Post.

Dr. Pete Meyers: ...completely independent of the weekend update.

Gary Illyes: Yesr.
  9. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

This article should not have been written. Jen Slegg posted a quote from a Google employee who said that Panda was a core ranking signal. That got interpreted as "Panda is a part of the core algorithm" which got many saying "Panda is real time". But, from later tweets, it sounds like this core algo update really had nothing to do with Panda:

https://twitter.com/methode/status/686924661360295936

And then twitter erupted with a big argument about what "core algo" meant.

Really though what it sounds like to me is that Panda is a huge ranking signal but it's not yet real time.

Comments on this post

• ClickyB agrees
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    This article should not have been written. Jen Slegg posted a quote from a Google employee who said that Panda was a core ranking signal. That got interpreted as "Panda is a part of the core algorithm" which got many saying "Panda is real time". But, from later tweets, it sounds like this core algo update really had nothing to do with Panda:

Really though what it sounds like to me is that Panda is a huge ranking signal but it's not yet real time.
    Yeah that's what I understood too.
    Gary's later tweet
    searchengineland article
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  13. rod@missionop.com

I find it odd that ... All talking heads "interpret" meanings (including you & me)... Which is the part that shouldn't be don't. Had anyone doing the "interpreting" actually confirmed their "interpretation" before going public that would solve all problems.
  15. No Profile Picture

Actually Marie, what I said was accurate, and was exactly what Google told me. The main issue was someone else jumped to the conclusion that part of the core algo means real time, and that was where it became confusing, and it was the real time part that Google had to publicly debunk.

But what I said in the article was completely accurate (and confirmed by Google), and not only that, pretty important.

17. No Profile Picture

Yeah, this was exactly part of the issue. It was a pretty big leap to make without asking for confirmation from either me (who wrote about it and knew what it meant) or from Google. If we are lucky, lessons were learned

Originally Posted by fathom
    I find it odd that ... All talking heads "interpret" meanings (including you & me)... Which is the part that shouldn't be don't. Had anyone doing the "interpreting" actually confirmed their "interpretation" before going public that would solve all problems.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : Unfortunately no one learns a lesson simply because someone else said I TOLD YOU SO!
  19. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Jenstar
    Yeah, this was exactly part of the issue. It was a pretty big leap to make without asking for confirmation from either me (who wrote about it and knew what it meant) or from Google. If we are lucky, lessons were learned
    Welcome Jen to SEOChat!
  21. Traffic drop sleuth. :)

Yes! Welcome Jen!

And it looks like I made a mistake. I thought that the link went to SEL's coverage of this...not the SEM Post. The SEL article had a lot of speculation about things that were not confirmed by Google.

My apologies Jen!
  23. Not An Expert

This cleared up whatever confusion I had: Not Panda: Recent Search Changes Are Core Algo But Not Panda

Comments on this post

• HCFGrizzly agrees
    • ClickyB agrees