Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Panda 4.0 - how as it for you?

That 'thin content' attacking update is rolling out.

We've seen some improvements on about 50% of the ecommerce sites that we manage but much stronger improvements on content based sites. Could this be a positive one?
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  3. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

One of the part-time members here that I correspond with on occasion has seen a dramatic upswing in ranks and traffic on multiple sites that had been in the weeds with Panda previously
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hmmm interesting to hear some "success" stories for once, lol.

With any major update, there are just as many winners as losers in a zero sum, winner-takes-all game, but my past experience with Panda clients has usually been those on the "losing" side. I'll be monitoring traffic closely for a handful of clients who were impacted by Panda previously that we thought were "false positives" or caught up in the refresh unfairly. Hopefully one or two of them get out of the weeds, as Kernel put it.

Good news to hear gents - thanks for sharing!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

In a (semi) unrelated thread on SERoundtable, a few commenters have been mentioning things along the line of:
    "I am currently working with some sites that have Panda problems, some of which have nearly un-fixable duplication issues due to typical e-commerce handling of product variations and thin-ish product descriptions. ... Those sites have regained in a way that looks a heck of a lot like your graph. To me, it does look like this panda is more forgiving of these very common issues - or perhaps has significantly improved the algorithm's ability to make sense of less than ideal structure/navigation."

There's also been talk of this being a "softer side" of Panda and a focus on not completely killing small businesses who might not have the resources to redo an entire site because some former dev didn't pay much attention to optimizing and perfecting the architecture. It'll be interesting to see if a trend develops of former Panda victims who have not fully cleaned up a bloated site and yet find their traffic leading upward again after 4.0.
  9. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

My site fared out pretty well, I'd say:

The odd thing is that I didn't do anything to fix this site. It was always on my "to do" list but I've been too busy with client work. There are other people who have noticed that sites are recovering even though they didn't fix any issues. I asked Matt Cutts about it and here's what he said, "@Marie_Haynes think of it like P4 is a new architecture. Brings in some of the softer side, but also lays groundwork for future iteration."
  11. SEO Since 97

My site fared out pretty well, I'd say:
    Did it stick Doc? I have a bunch of sites that also jumped up like that but then went back to normal or a little better than normal.
  13. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    but also lays groundwork for future iteration.
    Be very careful about reading anything into this... laying groundwork for a "tougher ORCA" could be a huge downside in the aftermath.

No ORCA does not exist... I have never known Matt to say "we are being soft on intentional spam (some form of short-cutting that is) simply because we want to go easy on spammers".

For the record, I do read Dr. Marie's graph as spamming since you don't get that pattern from non-short-cutting.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Somewhere between your modem and your browser
    Is everyone deporting on US google com changes? In europe i see no changes across any sitez and i have large brands and traffic verticals to look across.
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    It was always on my "to do" list but I've been too busy with client work.."
    I've had a similar experience with one of my sites. This always used to rank top 10 for "How to SEO your website" and then last year it suddenly slipped down to the edge of page 2 and 3. This was one that always peeved me as the many of the results ranking above it were more about what SEO is than 'How to' pages.

My gut feeling was that Google could not leave the SERPs that way as they certainly weren't a good user experience - not only on this, I've increasingly found myself using Bing for 'how to' queries. With Panda 4.0 I've bounced straight back onto page 1 without having made any changes.In general (not just because of the above query) traffic is up three fold.

Not sure it is a long term solution though - cloaked searches seem to rank me higher than Moz! :-)

Originally Posted by LittleG
    Is everyone deporting on US google com changes? In europe i see no changes across any sitez and i have large brands and traffic verticals to look across.
    A few of the UK based eCommerce sites we manage have seen good gains - top performer is up 100% in impressions and 70% on clicks. But this isn't universal ... some have shown no statistically valid improvement as with some in the US.

Incidently - alot of people at Black Hat World also reporting big improvements ....
  19. Agency SEO

So what of the websites that are no longer getting all this traffic because previously "penalized" (for lack of a better word) websites like Marie's are sucking it back up? Where are they? For every rise in the serps their must be a fall! Why am I hearing only of huge mega recoveries and so few "OMG WHERE DID MY TRAFFIC GO!" stories?

Look at Marie's traffic she didn't recover, she had her best day ever! Marie, is this non-branded organic search traffic you are showing?
    Last edited by KernelPanic; May 24th, 2014 at 09:11 AM.
  21. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    I started recovering on May 17th. My best money word (used to be #1) going from oblivion to #38. Not good, but a major improvement. All my other money keywords moved from oblivion to top 25.

KP... My competition is primarily .edu sites, wiki's, amazon, major info sites, etc. I don' t think you will find SEOs from sites like that coming on complaining. They are not selling anything.
  23. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    So what of the websites that are no longer getting all this traffic because previously "penalized" (for lack of a better word) websites like Marie's are sucking it back up? Where are they? For every rise in the serps their must be a fall! Why am I hearing only of huge mega recoveries and so few "OMG WHERE DID MY TRAFFIC GO!" stories?

Look at Marie's traffic she didn't recover, she had her best day ever! Marie, is this non-branded organic search traffic you are showing?
    Clearly since SEOChat hasn't cornered the market on SEO related queries they are obviously going elsewhere for advice.
  25. Contributing User

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    My competition is primarily .edu sites, wiki's, amazon, major info sites, etc. I don' t think you will find SEOs from sites like that coming on complaining.
    Can you imagine: "Hello dears, I have lost ranking for almost all keyword and don't know why. I write articles and submit to PR sites and directories with good PR. Website I am working on is ebay.com"

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : Correct... Only the clueless post such dribble.
  27. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by testok
    Did it stick Doc? I have a bunch of sites that also jumped up like that but then went back to normal or a little better than normal.
    Not only did it stick, but is actually improving. And no...this site has not been involved in spam.

Why am I hearing only of huge mega recoveries and so few "OMG WHERE DID MY TRAFFIC GO!" stories?
    There are lots of sites that are losing. I have received several requests for traffic drop audits from sites that were hit hard last week. Here's one post on some of the big losers: How Google's Panda Filter May Have Hurt Ask, eBay & Google-Backed RetailMeNot. However, it's possible that ebay had a manual penalty and was not affected by Panda. Searchmetrics reported a number of big sites with massive losses: Google's Panda Update Rolls-out To UK

Marie, is this non-branded organic search traffic you are showing?
    This site really doesn't get much branded traffic at all. And yes, it is organic search traffic.
  29. B afraid.. B very afraid!

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    My Penguin toxic link guy says that he believes that because Panda 4.0 has hit that it will only be a few days to weeks before Google rolls out a Penguin update. If true, I hope we fare as well with a Penguin update as we did with Panda 4.0.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: