1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

PageSpeed Insights

Hi Dears

Our website were scoring in the "PageSpeed Insights" 35 out of 100 for mobile and 38 out of 100 for desktop (Red zone for both). Right now is scoring 62 out of 100 for mobile and 65 out of 100 for desktop.

Our SERP has improved since then and we want to optimize even more. Our main competitors score 92 out of 100 for mobile and we think that this could be one of the reason why they are ranking that well.

The tool is sugesting to optimize de css file. https://developers.google.com/speed/...izeCSSDelivery but

* Our file is very large because the website is very large
    * We cannot include the CSS inside HTML page it will take ages and it might influence in the content

Anybody can suggest how can we improve the CSS file of our site? Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

By including the css with rel=link, you are creating a round trip load. This takes time too.

You would have to run a test to see which is faster, loading via rel = link or including it in on the page itself.

This latter can be offset by using a CDN for delivery. Also consider today's internet speeds are much faster than before.

Run a test and measure which is more effective. Then decide on the fastest method !

It's the only way to be sure.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

It will help If I create 2 or 3 CSS files instead of one. For instance 1 for the frame and boxes, another for styles and another CSS for format and content or something like that?
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Each rel = link to include a css stylesheet causes a round trip load on the server because you are loading an external file.

Each load takes time.

How many loads are you actually doing.

Again, you need to test this, and measure the time. There is really no other way to come to a accurate decision on this.. anything else is just guess work.

There is no answer I can give you that will substitute for a factual answer by testing the different methods ! Test it !!!!!!!

edited to add.....

I personally don't use external style sheets except in the development stage of sites I work on. But that is me, and how I do things.
    Test it !!! Again I say, TEST IT ! See what works best.
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; Jan 15th, 2018 at 08:09 AM.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks I guess that it is the only solution so I will test it
  11. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

We need to balance between practical development challenges and page load factors.
    Also consider caching - first load may take time when its a css file instead of inline css but for subsequent page loads on the same site the cache is used and the actual loading times are much faster. Same applies for returning visitors who retain a cache.
    We have above 90 page-speed scores even with 1 and more css files.
    Two css files may cause more page load time actually. It depends on how heavy each file is. If one files download time exceeds the ping times of both files plus download then its better to have two files. Those are very difficult to measure and not very practical in real life applications. And it remains to be seen what difference will they make in SERP rankings.

CDNs are best ways to achieve simultaneous downloads and faster page speeds. Especially for CSS and JS files that affect page rendering.
    I doubt only the CSS is the reason behind the 60s score.

Comments on this post

• tritrain agrees
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks it makes sense
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I am not sure what you mean by you cannot include the CSS inside HTML.

Often larger sites have multiple CSS files. This means the crawler needs to go through these multiple CSS files before it can load the page. Often, what some people do is combine all these CSS files into 1 file. That means the crawlers need to go through one file instead of several and this will further reduce load speed times by a lot.

Often it is best to hire a professional to do this type of work
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hello! Page Speed doesn't really matter
    Here is a<snip>
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; May 22nd, 2018 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Removed active link