Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Pagerank Help! Main domain or internal Page

If I somehow received a backlink from the main page of lets say Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing which has a PR of 9, I already know that google will see that link as a quality link and it will help my page rankings...
    My question is lets say I post a comment with a backlink to some random picture that is related to my niche at This Page which is has no PR ranking...does that help my ranking? Or is it a waste of time unless the physical page I'm posting the backlink to has the high PR?

And please don't be a jerk, I'm working on the quality on my site too. I'm not going to be backlinking to junk on my page, so let's skip that portion of this conversation.
    Thank You!
  3. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

You know dioak, sometimes people don't know the right questions to ask.

So if you think someone isn't answering your question and being a jerk, they're probably just answering the question you should have asked..

Ask yourself this: what value is there in something anyone can freely get?

The same applies to links, any link you can give yourself isn't going to be worth much..

So even if the link was dofollow (it's nofollow) it wouldn't do anything for you.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  5. No Profile Picture

Thank you! That is all the answer I needed (even though you were still a jerk ;)) It's obvious to assume that was the answer but to have the question answered makes a world of difference. I'm new to this stuff and the only way I learn is to ask questions. I just don't understand why my competitors have so many backlinks to worthless pages like this, same setup as the last link I posted. PR0 no ranking, nobody knows it's there and the companys my competitors are paying to optimize their sites are putting those links there... My competitors still rank on first page organically for most keywords of my niche, I can only assume it's due to the couple reviews they have and on page seo.

So to clearify, I should change my strategy to, posting to forums and blog posts with no backlink to gain trust and maybe throw in a backlink once in a great while? And this strategy would be to get my name out as opposed to boosting rankings in search engines? And to get quality backlinks to rank my website higher I should create quality material on my page worth backlinking to and asking the owner of niche websites with high authority or PR for a backlink and/or hope the my material quality is good enough for natural backlinking. Does this strategy sound better?

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic : he's not a jerk. he just helped you
    • DarrenHaye agrees : Don't worry I know you were joking.
  7. -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Whats your site about, auto repairs?.
  9. No Profile Picture

Yes. I'm a mechanic. And I was joking! You're just trying to help
  11. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

A search for:
    Auto Repair Tempe AZ 85281, I work on cars #1
    I work on cars, Tempe #3
    work on cars, Tempe #5
    auto repair, Tempe #12
    I work on cars # #4
    I'd start by trimming up your titles a little, you don't need your zip code in there, put that in a footer that appears on every page, you also don't need to repeat your domain name. I work on cars. No one will ever search that term and it's diluting the kick from your title. Don't worry about PR
  13. No Profile Picture

Google must have recently crawled my site again. I wasn't ranking on the first page for most of the keywords outside of typing in the zipcode in the keywords. Thanks for the advice Test. The only reason I repeated the domain in the title is because it's my company name. Wouldn't I want that in the title? I thought the zipcode in the title was the only thing ranking me #1 for keywords with that zipcode. If I move it to the footer will it have the same impact?
  15. No Profile Picture

I would love for someone to comment on this issue. I took a quick look at Dioak's site in Google for search tem "Tempe auto repair" without quotes. Dioak came in at 6 on page 1. position 1 on page 1 was xxx.tempeautoaz.com/.

Backlinks:

Looking at the backlinks for both pages, Dioak has 112 backlinks, including more than a dozen do follow PR5 and PR6. The other site has only 3 backlinks links. One of them is a do follow PR5. The PR refers to home page PR.

Domain Age:

Both DOmains are less than a year old (correct me if I am wrong)

On Page:

Dioak's Competitors have 60 missing H1 and 60 duplicate meta tags. The keyowrds are mentioned twice in opening paragraph and are simply in bold.
    Dioak has a home page stuffed with eccessive H1 headings.

Competitor has keywords right upfront in meta title and description.
    Dioak has "Auto Repair Tempe" in title tag but an empty meta description. .... interesting.

I would love for people to comment on what they think has determined the organic search result in this particular case and why Dioak is 6 and his competitor is Number 1.

Fascinating research. All the best, Dioak.
  17. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by davidtrounce
    I would love for someone to comment on this issue. I took a quick look at Dioak's site in Google for search tem "Tempe auto repair" without quotes. Dioak came in at 6 on page 1. position 1 on page 1 was xxx.tempeautoaz.com/.

Backlinks:

Looking at the backlinks for both pages, Dioak has 112 backlinks, including more than a dozen do follow PR5 and PR6. The other site has only 3 backlinks links. One of them is a do follow PR5. The PR refers to home page PR.

Domain Age:

Both DOmains are less than a year old (correct me if I am wrong)

On Page:

Dioak's Competitors have 60 missing H1 and 60 duplicate meta tags. The keyowrds are mentioned twice in opening paragraph and are simply in bold.
    Dioak has a home page stuffed with eccessive H1 headings.

Competitor has keywords right upfront in meta title and description.
    Dioak has "Auto Repair Tempe" in title tag but an empty meta description. .... interesting.

I would love for people to comment on what they think has determined the organic search result in this particular case and why Dioak is 6 and his competitor is Number 1.

Fascinating research. All the best, Dioak.
    What program did you use to do the research? And thank you for the interest...in your opinion does this mean my page should be ranking higher or lower? You're correct, my page is less than a year old, 6 months to be exact. I'm not sure exactly how old my competitors page is but I know they've been in business for a few years.

The template I use for the page forces a lot of H1 headings, which the template designer said wouldn't effect my ranking, I don't know if this is true or not. If I put in a meta description it always shows up in a weird place on the site and I'm not talented enough to make it look proper on the page, but I would love a meta description!

I was told that posting to those randoms with a low PR but had a homepage with a high PR was a bad tactic, so I quit doing it. I'm now currently writing an article and creating new content in order to keep the page fresh and hopefully give people a reason to be there. That seems, in my light research, to be the only sure fire way to stay on the first page of search engines.
  19. No Profile Picture

Dioak,

There are a number of sites you can use to check out your competitiors. Try Open Explorer or just Google "Backlink Checker" or "Check domain age" - or whatever other aspect of a web site you are wanting to explore. I use ahrefs, webceo, majestic and moz.

To answer your question about "should my page be ranking higher or lower": Here is the thing. There is no should about it. It is ranking lower and what we want to find out is, "why?"

If it were my site, I would be looking at the Competition and asking myself, "What is he doing - or what is happening (in terms of one page SEO) on his site that isn't going on on mine?."

Given that your site is lower, you can safely say that high PR backlinks are not the only thing you need - you have them - your competitor doesn't. So why is he doing so well in the SERPS?

A few thoughts.

1. Your H1 could be regarded as keyword stuffing. More importantly, if you have a lot of H1 and Google is using those to understand what your site is about, then too many H1 might make your page "less focused" in googles eyes than your competitor.

2. Check out his Google Places page (If he has one). And if you don't have one, create one. Google Places pages can have a significant effect in search results - especially if you are targetiing a geographical area - which you are.

3. Duplicate your Competitors on page SEO (But not their content). Make sure you have everything he has.

4. Check your page speed as it compares to your competitors. Google gives preference to faster sites. (free tool: Website speed test)

Basically, keep your site clean and tidy. Avoid bells and whistles. Clean up Headings. Write clear, focused content - and be patient. Your site will improve as it matures. I would ditch the back link strategy for now. Looking at the backlinks you used it is clear that they were placed there by someone who does not speak very good english. If they look spammy - they are spammy!

To help you along, I have moved your webstie to number 1 in Google for the search "tempe auto repair shops and mechanics" :-)

I hope this helps.

David.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Dioak
    The template I use for the page forces a lot of H1 headings, which the template designer said wouldn't effect my ranking, I don't know if this is true or not.
    Some top sites iv come across do not use H1's, but if you use H1's on the homepage or internal pages then make sure you only use it once, then use h2's for your other important keywords, personally i would use h1's, one per page on important pages you want to rank well for.

You also have other important issues on the homepage, at present your site is being indexed three times.

tempeautoaz(dot)com/default.aspx is a duplicate of the homepage.
    www(dot)tempeautoaz.com/ is also being indexed.

Both of these urls are causing massive issues with Google and both need to be redirected to your homepage. I would also limit the number of meta keywords to around 4-5, overuse of meta keywords will raise alarm bells with certain search engines who use this, as far as i know Google does not use this metric but other search engines consider overuse as spam.

I would also limit your meta description to a lower number of words, 336 is a bit high, besides after 160 characters the rest is not shown in Google so offers no real value.

A further point, often sites with little text on the homepage are harder to rank for specific keywords than others, adding more text to the homepage would be beneficial, I would only adopt this if you are not well ranked at present, if well ranked then there is no reason to alter it.

First and foremost would be to sort out the duplicate homepages before you end up with the whole site being indexed over and over, do this via a 301 permanent redirect from the two urls listed to the correct homepage.

Comments on this post

• davidtrounce agrees
    Last edited by artofmagick; Jan 21st, 2014 at 05:13 PM.
  23. No Profile Picture

Thanks for the advice david. And thanks for the boost, how did you do that! artofmagick: I think you're referring to the competitors site...mine is the iworkoncars.net. thanks for the input though!
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by Dioak
    Thanks for the advice david. And thanks for the boost, how did you do that! artofmagick: I think you're referring to the competitors site...mine is the iworkoncars.net. thanks for the input though!
    I used Seoquake which is a firefox addon and also used copyalllinks which is another addon, then checked all links on homepage after pasting them in a text file. I also sometimes use spellcheck which is another addon to check pages for spelling, it highlights the words in green, potential misspelling.

Either way you also have your homepage being indexed twice.

www(dot)iworkoncars.net is a duplicate of your homepage so you have the same problem as the other site, being indexed twice which will piss Google off. So you to need a 301 permanent redirect to correct homepage.

You also have 3x h1's which is going to effect seo, only once per page.

• <H1>: Auto Repair in Tempe
    • <H1>: Fleet Service
    • <H1>: Tempe Location

You also have no meta description on the homepage and should have a meta description for all pages with text, this includes internal pages as well, most of your internal pages have two to three words in the meta, you need to formalize a sentence rather than a couple of words.

I would also increase the text on internal pages as there is little substance for google to index, write a few paragraphs for important pages and formalize a decent sentence in the meta descriptions around 160 characters placing important keywords near the start of the description, i would also use brand in the titles and important keywords at the start of the title tags.

Forgot to add, these two urls are broken and need to be redirected to the correct url or 301 permanent redirect to the homepage.

iworkoncars(dot)net/comments/feed/
    iworkoncars(dot)net/contacts/Dan@iworkoncars.ne
    Last edited by artofmagick; Jan 21st, 2014 at 07:21 PM.
  27. No Profile Picture

Hi Dioak,

No, I was referring to your site. See this screenshot.
  29. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by davidtrounce
    Hi Dioak,

No, I was referring to your site. See this screenshot.
    Thank you David for that boost!
    I meant artofmagick had refered to the wrong site. But his advice still applied in my case.

My meta description is set up to appear in a very unnatural place with the way the home page is set up now. Google actually seems to pull the description from the first paragraph under "Auto Repair in Tempe" on the home page. I'll have to check with the template designer to see if they can make a couple changes for me.
    I agree my pages need more content, that's what I'll be working on in the next few months. If I can get motivated I'll start creating short youtube videos as well, which I read can help ranking.

Thank you for the help, I'm going to try and just tweak the few things you mentioned and let you know how things end up.

Comments on this post

• davidtrounce agrees
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: