1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Page title and meta doesn't mean a thing?

Hi old guns out there,

I heard that page title and meta don't work or mean very little until you have better PR?

is this true? If so, that means I should put building inbound links my first priority then?

I would like to get some basics, I am pretty new to SEO as I just started my website.

Also, another question is that for a website sells quite few different things like digital camera, clothes, guns all under one roof will take longer to rank up in PR or not?

Thanks
  3. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

The page title <title></title> is the single most important on-page factor (other then content) that effffect rankings. Try to include your major keywords here but make sure the title reads well when it comes up in SEs.

Metas have a role BUT it has nothing to do with rankings. Metas do not effect rankings. Unless there is something you specifically need to tell a search engine ie do not display ODP directory listing information, then on the whole metas can be completly left out.
    Live the moment
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    The page title <title></title> is the single most important on-page factor (other then content) that effffect rankings. Try to include your major keywords here but make sure the title reads well when it comes up in SEs.

Metas have a role BUT it has nothing to do with rankings. Metas do not effect rankings. Unless there is something you specifically need to tell a search engine ie do not display ODP directory listing information, then on the whole metas can be completly left out.
    but page title values more if you get better PR than you had before?
  7. Roll the dice.. and live

Originally Posted by ejordan
    but page title values more if you get better PR than you had before?
    No... PR does not have any direct influence on SERPs. The relative importance of title does not change simply because PR changes.

Write your title carefully. Forget about PR it is a distraction. Make sure you home page has well written, relevant text. Create quality, unique content. Get backlinks to that content (with relivent anchor texts if possible). Ensure you site is easy to navigate and engaes the visitor.

Do these things and you are on the path to winning the google game.

Worrying about metas and PR and you are on the path to helping your competators win the game....
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by gazzahk
    No... PR does not have any direct influence on SERPs. The relative importance of title does not change simply because PR changes.

Write your title carefully. Forget about PR it is a distraction. Make sure you home page has well written, relevant text. Create quality, unique content. Get backlinks to that content (with relivent anchor texts if possible). Ensure you site is easy to navigate and engaes the visitor.

Do these things and you are on the path to winning the google game.

Worrying about metas and PR and you are on the path to helping your competators win the game....

Thanks for the info, so as an ecommerce website which will have a lot of different products covering from clothing to furniture, what kind of contents can be considered as quality contents? product reviews? maybe a how-to page on using the device or something? any other tips I should be aware of or use?

I would say it's kind of hard for me to get inbound links from my competitors, LOL, any other good places except directories and blogs?

Thanks
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Thanks for the info, so as an ecommerce website which will have a lot of different products covering from clothing to furniture, what kind of contents can be considered as quality contents? product reviews? maybe a how-to page on using the device or something? any other tips I should be aware of or use?

I would say it's kind of hard for me to get inbound links from my competitors, LOL, any other good places except directories and blogs?

Thanks
    If the content on the page is relevant to the keywords you are targeting and feature prominently on the page (such as H1tags, bold etc) then it will rank well for those keywords.

Having items such as product reviews can act as a good way to 'bait' links to your site. If the review is informative then there is a better chance that other pages will link to it.

Article writing is another great method. If you publish informative articles on your products then links to your site through that article will come over time.

In regards to meta tags. They don't aid in your rankings but can be useful to entice visitors to click through to your site when google displays the snippet for your site.
  13. rod@missionop.com

have a lot of different products covering from clothing to furniture,
    Here's your first hurdle.

Walmart didn't start out as the "everything store" in the 40's it grew to be that.

No amount of quality is likely going to help you... online.

Even if you happen to pour sweat into this to gain the ranks your sales will be dismal.

When people want a "everything store" they go to Walmart - you need to start and specialize in one thing - Cloths or Furniture or something inbetween and grow outwards to becoming the online Walmart.

You MUST FOCUS - focus all you attention in a small niche and win that niche - then move on.

Comments on this post

• RoyalBlueStuey agrees : Knowing what you are applies at every level from sole traders right up to the high street.
    • dwhitmore agrees : Very sound advice.
    • roseberry agrees : exactly
    Last edited by fathom; Aug 29th, 2008 at 03:16 AM.
  15. Contributing User

Originally Posted by fathom
    When people want a "everything store" they go to Walmart - you need to start and specialize in one thing - Cloths or Furniture or something inbetween and grow outwards to becoming the online Walmart.
    Perhaps setting up subdomains will enable you to sell all the products you want in their own niche category?
  17. rod@missionop.com

Originally Posted by Federale
    Perhaps setting up subdomains will enable you to sell all the products you want in their own niche category?
    That still doesn't allow you to "focus" on any single niche.

If you need "quality content for clothes"... that could be "Go Organic"... how does that actually help your furniture department?
    Last edited by fathom; Aug 29th, 2008 at 03:15 AM.
  19. No Profile Picture

Hi old guns out there,

I heard that page title and meta don't work or mean very little until you have better PR?

is this true? If so, that means I should put building inbound links my first priority then?

I would like to get some basics, I am pretty new to SEO as I just started my website.

Also, another question is that for a website sells quite few different things like digital camera, clothes, guns all under one roof will take longer to rank up in PR or not?

Thanks
    you should start your site with a good title. just like good movies have titles which coincides with its content. search engine will search your page including the meta and your keywords.
  21. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by fathom
    That still doesn't allow you to "focus" on any single niche.

If you need "quality content for clothes"... that could be "Go Organic"... how does that actually help your furniture department?
    Well, here's two things I need to mention. First offf I thought about this, I actually debated for a week of non-stop thinking about if I should find the niche market and create something like plussizeclothes.com or an everthing store like wal-mark. True, wal-mart didn't start it as an everything store, but I decided to go this route, for one, I have the source to get a lot of products at a good price, for 2, I was thinking of deciding the categories/products in priority layers (business term not technical terms) I will only focus on clothing at the begining and I won't be buying google adwords for other market but clothing. for other categories I actually want to use google adsense in other categories that I am not focusing on first the beginning.

so there you go, that's my "calculator" there, shall this be ok in terms of SEO?
  23. rod@missionop.com

Well, here's two things I need to mention. First offf I thought about this, I actually debated for a week of non-stop thinking about if I should find the niche market and create something like plussizeclothes.com or an everthing store like wal-mark. True, wal-mart didn't start it as an everything store, but I decided to go this route, for one, I have the source to get a lot of products at a good price, for 2, I was thinking of deciding the categories/products in priority layers (business term not technical terms) I will only focus on clothing at the begining and I won't be buying google adwords for other market but clothing. for other categories I actually want to use google adsense in other categories that I am not focusing on first the beginning.

so there you go, that's my "calculator" there, shall this be ok in terms of SEO?
    I've spent 12 years in SEO - optimized alot of websites advised on 10 times as many, and for the past 5 years here seen a volume of people come through and the "success stories" are all from companies with websites that are "niche-based"... that's a major competitive edge... especially when you're just starting out.

I'm 100% positive those products will all be there when your ready to expand - PLUS if you focus and succeed... ypu have supply running to you "carry me and I'll up my commissions".

Keep your plans for "everything" but only roll out a new department once the old are established... cause you never establish everything all at once.

You need to "feel the urgency" to succeed in one area long before you'll ever succeed in all.
    Last edited by fathom; Aug 29th, 2008 at 08:17 AM.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by chickenstar
    you should start your site with a good title. just like good movies have titles which coincides with its content. search engine will search your page including the meta and your keywords.
    Have you been typing with your eyes closed again? Try to pay attention to at least part of the thread. At least you used a conflated analogy, so thanks for that.

Comments on this post

• fathom agrees : Many only read the opening poster's post and comment specifically on that as if no one else commented!