1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Page Ranking Decreased?

Hello,

About a couple of weeks ago, our website started to go through a complete redesign, to make itself more visually pleasing and more user friendly. The only kicker here is, our website started to decrease in page rank.

Now yes, I did read the sticky on losing page rankings and the only reason I could see that our decrease could have suffered from was a shift in the site structure (#4). However, that does not even seem to be the case. Our website never went down nor were any of our links were removed.

The only things we have done to the website, were the following:
    - Removing a news widget on the pages
    - Making the title tags more unique
    - Adding new links to some of our associations
    - Changing the general layout of the page

Our website is called:
    <snip>

Our general search term is:
    court reporting

We were ranked page 10 in google and then as of today we were ranked page 21.

Thanks
    Last edited by dzine; Apr 1st, 2013 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Approved because of reply. Please observe or rules on Site Review Requests though...
  3. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

You probably lost some good links.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by joshz
    You probably lost some good links.
    That's the interesting thing. We never changed any of our links, we only added some. I mean the only link we did remove is a unnessary feedback link button on the main page, but the actual page was never removed.
  7. SEO Consultant

Originally Posted by ACRDepos
    That's the interesting thing. We never changed any of our links, we only added some. I mean the only link we did remove is a unnessary feedback link button on the main page, but the actual page was never removed.
    Yes, but some webmaster will remove links, sites go down, etc. I would use ahrefs.com and review your back link profile first. I'm willing to bet your problem is within your links.
  9. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by joshz
    Yes, but some webmaster will remove links, sites go down, etc. I would use ahrefs.com and review your back link profile first. I'm willing to bet your problem is within your links.
    Interestly enough, by using the ahrefs.com site, I learned that we actually lost in approximation 10 backlinks during the course of two weeks. (We had about 100 and then it decreased to 90). But would this classify to drop our ranking by 10 or more so pages in google?
  11. SEO Consultant

If the links were powerful enough, of course.
  13. No Profile Picture

The other thing I'm willing to consider, (as I've been reading about this all morning), is that the use of over optimization of anchor text. On all of our pages now we have links to different areas on our site and we also have 4 links to associations we are part of.

<snip>
    Last edited by dzine; Apr 1st, 2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Still no links please. Forum software won't allow em anyway
  15. No Profile Picture

once your are well indexed in google. then you should not change your website layout.
    Last edited by dzine; Apr 3rd, 2013 at 03:25 AM. Reason: snip
  17. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Page 10 or Page 21 is irrelevant, no traffic for either. You're splitting hairs. Go out and get way more links (good ones) and then worry about the tiny things. You're micromanaging a project that hasn't left the ground.
  19. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

You changed your title elements with the new site and your on-site SEO shows no ability to do KW research. For around 12k spread out over 12 months you could hire a pro like Joshz to get you all straight. An SEO pro will do proper KW research, create landing pages that target a huge amount of your long tails and build authority for your entire site. I would bet the house his return on your investment will be twice what you shell out.

You are not targeting the key phrases that will convert and you are targeting key phrases you don't have the ability to get on the first page for. It's all topsey turvey!

Also your URLs: what is /depositions.php#.UVvodY6W-4Q? You didn't have that in your old site. Is it a 301 issue? Regardless, URL matters for click through these days.

Hire a pro or throw a party the day you manage to get yourself back on page 10.

Good luck!
  21. No Profile Picture

We also faced same issue..our page rank got decreased but now we re designed our site now our ranking getting improvement.. Make sure u have re-designed user friendly site..
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by ACRDepos
    The other thing I'm willing to consider, (as I've been reading about this all morning), is that the use of over optimization of anchor text. On all of our pages now we have links to different areas on our site and we also have 4 links to associations we are part of.
    Some time ago our company website suffered from this. We've also changed some titles and some text on our pages and added some keyword anchor links and I guess it looked like over-optimization to Google, though we didn't make too much, we just made a little better as we thought. Anyway the ranking was dropped. And it is still not updated though some time passed.
  25. No Profile Picture

Now that I think about it, our H1 tags were removed from the pages.
    This would probably make the MOST sense of why our page ranking dropped.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

may be due to some bad links
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

probably you need to redirect some old urls to the ones, in case you haven't done so.
    You probably need to check google webmaster tools and google analytics to see what's going on.