1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Page not indexing

Hi about a week ago I added an original article around 1000 words and linked it from every page of my site (500 pages). About 200 of those pages have been recrawled since adding the article but the article still isn't appearing in Google. Any suggestions to why it isn't appearing?

cheers

Mike
  3. Cool bra. Go with Christ!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

There are a whole lot of possibilities... How about you give us the url?
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume".. Egol 22nd Feb 2008
    New to SEO/SeoChat?...Click Here
    Canonical Problems?... Click Here
    Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by phatmike10
    Hi about a week ago I added an original article around 1000 words and linked it from every page of my site (500 pages). About 200 of those pages have been recrawled since adding the article but the article still isn't appearing in Google. Any suggestions to why it isn't appearing?

cheers

Mike
    With 99 posts I guess you're experienced enough not to make this rookie mistake, but just to check ;)

When you say it isn't appearing, do you mean that if you search for the url in google it isn't returned OR that you are not ranking well for it when you search for a specific term or chunk of text.

If it isn't appearing when you search for the url then other than the obvious, noindex set on the page (either on page or in robots.txt etc), the page is scaped and is being ignored, the site has an issue and your problem is bigger than you think, then I'd really need to the url to seriously look into it.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Cheers guys, I was referring to a URL search in Google resulting in the page not appearing at all and not even in the omitted results. There is a contextual link in there to an unrelated site which I need to change to no-follow but If it was just that factor, then I’d be surprised if it was causing it not to be indexed I would expect it to devalue the ranking. The URL is http://www.allbuyart.com/art-movement-cubism-pablo-ruiz-picasso-short-biography.asp

thanks
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

I see it in Google now.

My guess is that Google just hadn't got around to indexing yet, even though the links were there saying it existed.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for the help guys, strangely enough, although its now indexed it isn’t ranking for the chosen phrase site:www.allbuyart.com pablo ruiz picasso short biography

The link that I added on each page uses “pablo ruiz picasso short biography” as anchor text and its contained in the title, the content is relevant. Could it be over optimisation?
  13. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Kevin H
    Hi,

I see it in Google now.

My guess is that Google just hadn't got around to indexing yet, even though the links were there saying it existed.
    Yep...just because google crawled it doesn't always mean it's been indexed. Everything runs on Google Time
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I can't say for certain that you are NOT potentially over-optimised or otherwise Penguined.

However, it is just as likely that this is the new page and with you (and other sites) using exactly the same phrase on older more established pages that they are just naturally ranking better for the term.

Personally I wouldn't have gone about this in the way you have. It looks very spammy whether or not it is causing you issues.

In effect you have applied site-wide links and not put the links 'naturally' within the page text (not liked by Google), have 'spammed' the search term (not liked by Google), and have added the 'exact' search term to many pages potentially causing competition with yourself when it comes to people finding the correct landing page (not the best idea IMO).

If you are going to do things like this then you need to be cleverer with it. Find ways to 'naturally' link back within the text on the page with varied and relevant link-text potentially including some of the search words you want and occasionally, perhaps, the exact search phrase.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Kevin H
    I can't say for certain that you are NOT potentially over-optimised or otherwise Penguined.

However, it is just as likely that this is the new page and with you (and other sites) using exactly the same phrase on older more established pages that they are just naturally ranking better for the term.

Personally I wouldn't have gone about this in the way you have. It looks very spammy whether or not it is causing you issues.

In effect you have applied site-wide links and not put the links 'naturally' within the page text (not liked by Google), have 'spammed' the search term (not liked by Google), and have added the 'exact' search term to many pages potentially causing competition with yourself when it comes to people finding the correct landing page (not the best idea IMO).

If you are going to do things like this then you need to be cleverer with it. Find ways to 'naturally' link back within the text on the page with varied and relevant link-text potentially including some of the search words you want and occasionally, perhaps, the exact search phrase.
    Thanks for this Kevin, this page is kind of an experiment to see what is currently working and not. The natural side of things is interesting as in context I would see this as natural, as although site wide links with identical anchors and description it appears in a box that states, ‘latest articles’, the context of it is that it’s the latest article added to the website. In real terms this is natural and beneficial for the users of the site. However in Google terms it might not be natural although it is currently ranking mid first page.

Regarding inbound external links I would definitely expect the anchor profile for these to be more natural.

In conclusion this strategy might be ok for getting new content indexed relatively quickly and to gain serps quite quickly but as soon as I add a new article it will replace the current links to this page which will then lose its SERPs due to lack of link juice.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

You uploaded your page to the Wrong Folder
    Your webpage has the Wrong Filename
    Your browser cached the old copy of your Web Page
    You are using a web proxy which cached the Old Page
    Last edited by Seooptimizer; Dec 13th, 2012 at 03:16 AM.
  21. nobody
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

double check your onsite, make sure its not a dup. if everything is good, ping it and link to it (from another site with PR)
    Data Oriented SEO is a way to go in modern SEO days.
    Sefati Consulting | Analytics Clarity
  23. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Quite often Google will index a page but then it will still take a week or several weeks in order for it to rank. Give it time.
    THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO UNNATURAL LINKS RECOVERY by Dr. Marie Haynes.
    Click here to sign up for my Google Penalty Newsletter.
    Traffic Drop Audits. and Unnatural links penalty recovery help.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As per my knowledge Google can penalize your website if you are following this way to index your article fast.