1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

On-page done right?

Hi guys,

I'm new to SEO and still a bit confused with on-page optimisation and would really appreciate it if you could let me know if i'm heading in the right direction?

In regards to keywords and using them to rank higher, is it best to pick a keyword to rank per page & if so is the example below how i would go about doing it?

Example:

For the homepage of a webiste, if i wanted to rank for 'long distance relationship gifts' Would I use that keyword within the page title, page url, alt tags of the images on the home page, H1's & H2's of the homepage and within the content on that page in order to rank for it?

I'm also aware it would be a good idea to use synonyms or variants of the keyword. Where would it be best to put these? Within the content on the page alone, or also within the alt tags on images, and the H1's, etc..?

Thanks!
  3. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  5. Entrepreneur

7. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Prof.stan
    Great, will have a read.

I notice they are from 2014, are they still relevant?
  9. Entrepreneur

Originally Posted by Trouchie
    Great, will have a read.

I notice they are from 2014, are they still relevant?
    Yes, it is still worthy, additionally, you should also read from Useful SEO Tools there are many tools are added here that help you to optimize your the site in the better way. I will also suggest you use Google SERP Snippet Optimization Tool for the better snippet optimization
    Last edited by Prof.stan; May 13th, 2017 at 01:30 PM.
  11. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Trouchie,

glad to have you here on the forums, and welcome. It sounds like you are just getting your feet wet with SEO and here you'll find all sorts of great information from members who have been at the SEO and SEM game for a while. ProfStan gave you some great links to start with (being good at anything takes a lot of work!) and i also recommend them. If you have more specific questions about your website in particular send me a PM
    Last edited by mainstwebguy; May 24th, 2017 at 12:06 PM.
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."
    -Albert Einstein
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Trouchie,
    I get the feeling you may be jumping into SEO at a point way past where it should start and I also wonder if you really understand how G. ranks pages for search terms.

How G ranks Pages
    G does not rank keywords (exact match word sequences), it ranks the individual words in a string of search words. The exact sequence usually has little impact on a page's ranking.

Think of it as a word point scoring exercise. In a four-word search, the total score may be a combination of:

• Word 1 = 35%
    • Word 2 = 14%
    • Word 3 = 50%
    • Word 4 = 1%

NB: The average search query length is over 4 words and rising with the growth of voice search.

It is crucial that you start by defining the primary individual words that will be crucial to your SEO implementation. Forget keyword tools, they are usually of little use at this stage.

You need to identify the specific words that will occur in hundreds/thousands of relevant queries and which you may want to use in:

• The domain name
    • Site-navigation
    • Breadcrumbs
    • Site sections and their pages
    • In all image alt tags
    • In as many incoming links as you can legitimately attract.
    • In page internal links

It is way too late to simply focus on "keywords" for individual pages - by then the SEO horse has already bolted.

You have not addressed the issue of the content the site will need for all the different questions that the different types of target customers will pose as they progress through the purchasing process. This also needs to be sorted before you get to individual on-page elements. Most SE referrals are lost for the reason that websites do NOT answer many of the questions posed by potential clients and tragically this seems to be more likely to occur as the searcher nears the end of the buying process.

Synonyms
    Google will automatically recognise many synonyms these days so it is not so critical an issue.

Generally, I would preferentially use the one favoured by most searchers. You should only expect a small ranking impact based on different synonyms.

The Home Page
    There is no single answer to your question on Home page SEO. You need to start with:

• Who is Home designed for?
    • What info will they want on Home?

Whatever the answers to these questions, your Home content needs to reflect it. That means the individual words you use in the Home page's titles, H1 and image tags, etc. MUST be relevant to the content.

The first "who's it for" question to ask is, "repeat customers or new potential clients"?

Egs.
    a. If a site is a well established shopping site with a big email list and active social media promos, Home is very often aimed at repeat customers and the Home page may feature, latest products, current discounted products, most popular buys, etc. These types of sites may be using their product category pages as their primary landing pages for web searchers.

b. Sites that are focussed on attracting new customers may find it more effective to target service or business categories on their Home page. Think of it as a "store directory" on the Home page.

c. Bricks and mortar retailers
    These types of sites may want to focus on mobile searchers in a type of retailer "near me" search mode. To them Home may need to feature business category, location, directions, hours, specials, etc.

Effective SEO needs to look for and implement "force multipliers".
    These include:

• What words are used in external link text
    • What words are used in internal link text
    • How your site internally links pages of search topic related pages
    • How many pages of search topic related pages your site links together
    • How well it delivers info to the needs of different potential customer types
    • How your site dissembles PageRank through it

The most common SEO problem I see is that site content focuses on product/service features. That's a killer!

Focus on the very different benefits that are important to different types of clients for the same type of product/service and your relevant, generic SE referrals are bound to improve.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
    • KernelPanic : Wtf are you talking about?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; May 28th, 2017 at 04:13 AM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

In regards to keywords and using them to rank higher, is it best to pick a keyword to rank per page & if so is the example below how i would go about doing it?
    Trouchie everyone will probably have a different opinion on how many keywords to target on a page by page basis.

I generally choose 3 Primary keywords per page. This lets you work 2 of them into your title. Then you can create an attractive Meta Description and hopefully create it so it doesn't look keyword stuffed and also sounds natural.

Then go and research Latent Semantic Indexing. These if you don't know are words that are related to your primary keywords. Then use your primaries in your h tags and such, and in your content you can create some good content using both, ie your keywords and LSI words to convey your sites intent to Google.

BTW an example of LSI

Primary Keyword -- Car
    LSI keywords would be trunk, spare tire, jack, boot, flat, windshield wipers, etc, etc. I think you understand the point.

Edited to add...
    For the homepage of a webiste, if i wanted to rank for 'long distance relationship gifts' Would I use that keyword within the page title, page url, alt tags of the images on the home page, H1's & H2's of the homepage and within the content on that page in order to rank for it?
    Trouchie, I would suggest you search your term in Google and Bing and Yahoo. Then carefully look at the top 10 sites on each Search Engine. Examine each site carefully and see what they use for their Title , Meta Description and in general how they have constructed the page. This will give you a better and more practical answer to your question. See how others actually do it and then do it better.

Comments on this post

• JohnAimit agrees : NB: Primary words per page are critical
    Last edited by KnowOneSpecial; May 31st, 2017 at 06:57 PM.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

KernelPanic disagrees : Wtf are you talking about?

Hi KernalPanic,
    Your comment can't be understood. Do you NOT understand what was said or do you disagree with something?

I'm happy to educate ill-informed folk or discuss issues of SEO importance with those who are informed on the topic.

Which are you?
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Jun 1st, 2017 at 05:12 AM.
  19. Entrepreneur

John as I understand KernelPanic might be disagrees with because he emphasise the on page elements only that includes Title Tag, Alt tag, Rich Snippets,404 Pages, Internal Links, speed optimisation, https, and schema optimisation something like that that have added at On-Site and On-Page SEO: All You Wanted to Know About It
    But you have mentioned the different points as how Google treated our search queries and where is the space on that place we can add our keywords.

Apart from this Knowonespecial also added some good points here like how to use our keywords in the different tags and we can also use LSI words also.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

These are the few On-page factors:-
    Page Titles. Your page titles are one of the most important SEO factors on your site
    Meta Descriptions. Many people forget to include meta descriptions for their pages
    Meta Tags
    URL Structure
    Body Tags (H1, H2, H3, H4, etc.)
    Keyword Density
    Image SEO
    Internal Linking
  23. Dinosaur
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Sorry Paul
    Meta Descriptions. Many people forget to include meta descriptions for their pages
    meta descriptions have not been used for years in helping with rankings. They are however used in the google snippet which is when google show it to users and can attract clicks if done well.

Meta Tags
    If your refering to meta keywords then I am afraid no search engine I know of uses these now.

Keyword Density
    Is yesterdays news, Google have repeatedly said keyword density is a waste of time, write for users and not search engines and it will perform better. In fact if you over do your keywords then it can have a negative effect and appear spammy and not rank as well.
    Owner of Page Explorer the page onsite SEO checker
    Useful Tools: Site Statistics: SEM Rush | Site Crawler: Screaming Frog
  25. No Profile Picture

Hello everyone,

Now a days, On-page seo is most important. First fix any site On-page issue then do off-page seo.
    So first all on-page and make your site fully SEO & Search Engine friendly.
  27. Entrepreneur

do off-page SEO.
    Techlysolutions, It is dangerous game don't do if you do better work of on-page and content then it will be influenced external references in your niches

Comments on this post

• Digital Marketeer
  29. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Off-page SEO, which I think mostly as link building, is the #1 ranking factor for SEO based on a lot of different studies from MOZ & SEJ. Just don't get links from paid guest posts, link farms/networks, spammy free directory listings, and you'll be fine.