Thread: Page Authority

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Page Authority

How is it that someone with a lower page and domain authority can rank higher than you? Could someone help me understand this.

Thanks
  3. Just a Photographer
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Those are metrics are from Moz and not from Google. Don't worry about it.

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees
    - Mike

Jack of all trades, master of none.
  5. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Don't pay attention to authority or page rank.authority is a moz
    thing, and only Google knows what the page rank is, they use to show that info. but stopped showing it a few years ago
    Which is probably used but Google isn't going to let JQ public in on it.

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees
  7. Retired from SEO
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Also, these matrixes are used by sales pitch those want to sell their snake oil....
    You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi Nicolalane,

What the others said above plus...

A limitation of the various SEO tools that report metrics like "page authority" is that they can't assess the ranking score impact of the individual words used in a search query.

I don't know how far you want to delve into SEO but for even the least depth, it is crucial to have a basic understanding of how Google works.

The most recent summary I know is a video presentation from Google's Paul Haahr:

It is the initial part of the presentation you want.

You may find this page useful to follow the presentation with, it includes the slides used (you want slide 1-15) and a description of what is being said.

It does carve up the presentation into topics. Scroll down to the sub-head: Google Search Today

Hope this helps with the basics.
    Last edited by JohnAimit; Jan 30th, 2018 at 03:12 AM.
  11. Retired from SEO

John, I didn't read your given links but please let me know DA works or not in SEO
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi ,

If that is the case why people are still bothered about Domain Authority. We have a few clients who wants to focus on improving DA. How to deal in such situation?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Hi Prof Stan,

DA is not and never has been a part of Google's ranking algo.

Some SEOs may have used SEO tools and metrics like DA to help save time when searching for potential external link sources or as a crude comparison of competitive sites.

Like all SEO tools, it is important to know what they do and their limitations or they become misused and counter productive.

You only need to Google, "page authority" to get a feel for the potential for its misuse.

Look at the list of "searches related to...". They include:

• what is a good page authority
    • how to increase page authority
    • what is a good domain authority score
    • how to increase domain authority

Comments on this post

• NewDelhiSEO agrees : well said
  17. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

DA and PA are useless metrics. That's all anyone needs to know.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
  19. No Profile Picture
    Banned

Hi GILL Solutions,

It can be tough to quell SEO myths. All I can offer is education to get your clients up to speed. The key issues seem to me to ensure your client:

• Understands how PageRank's "link juice" is passes between pages
    • Understands the basics of how G search now works
    • Realises that G has totally updated what links it counts and how it uses them

1. How PageRank's "link juice" is passes between pages

This is how it used to be:

May 2009: What are your views on PageRank sculpting?
    Video by Matt Cutts, Google

The important concept for your client is typically, most external links link land on a site's Home page. If there were 100 incoming links and the Home page had 10 internal links, a little less than 10% of the incoming PageRank would be split across each of the to internal pages. If the Home page contained 100 internal links, each would receive a little less than 1% of the incoming PageRank value.

2. The basics of how G search now works

Get your client to watch the initial section of the Paul Haahr video linked above. (SMX West 2016 - How Google Works: A Google Ranking Engineer's Story)

Check that your client understands that ranking on G is essentially a point scoring exercise based on the combined ranking score of the individual words in a search query. Listen to Haahr's discussion of how web pages are "carved up" and allotted to individual word "shards" and that it is these that are used in assessing ranking point scores for web pages.

It's not addressed by Haahr but we also know historically that link text is an important ranking factor. So the individual link text words are presumably part of this "shard" word allotting function.

3. G has totally updated what links it counts and how it uses them

A single piece of info can emerge from the vacuum that can have very far reaching consequences. Such a piece was revealed by Google's Gary Illyes on 5 Sep 2017:

It includes:

"...it is "close to impossible for you to check which links are actually deemed critical." So why bother trying to figure out which links are important and which links are not if there is no way for you to do so?"

"Gary then added that Google "ignores tons of links" and that even if you collect data from Google Search Console and third-party tools " that you won't know which ones are absolutely critical."'

4. Summary

I'm no expert on the various SEO tools. Whenever I try to research their data source, their tool methodology, etc. I invariably hit a blank wall.

If others have info I don't, please add to our combined knowledge. My understanding is that no tool vendor has access to G data. That indicates:

• They do not know what links G includes in its index
    • They can't assess what individual search words are used
    • They don't know what different ranking values G places on links associated with each search query word
    • They don't know if/when G adjusts ranking point values for individual search query words

The bottom line seems to be that all the SEO tools that report metrics which try to imitate PageRank are now inaccurate and can now only be used for very broad assessments that may save SEOs some time.

Hope this helps.
  21. Retired from SEO

John See below response it is very clear and simple

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    So when you reply and explain then sometimes new user could be misunderstood. Even many times I understand you are saying something different than others,
    Don't take this in another way and hope you get this.

So the point is DA and PA are useless metrics in SEO
  23. the mango demon
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Prof Stan,
    What John says is entirely in agreement with what KP said.

John says in the first sentence - "DA is not and never has been a part of Google's ranking algo."
    That is the same as DA and PA are useless metrics. That's all anyone needs to know..

What he means is - even though it is not a ranking factor nor any thing that Google or sane SEOs care about, it is used by some people as a comparative figure. Mostly to determine what site should I source a link from. After Google Page Rank became secret to the public, they have relied largely on the Moz metrics of DA and PA. That helps people quickly figure out which could possibly be a better link resource.

After that what John lists are hints that show how popular are those metrics now and much Moz is marketing those metrics to sell its tool.
    Fair enough and there is no disagreement that those MOZ figures are nothing to compare when comparing two sites position on Google SERPs.
    I hope I was able to explain that.

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees : Totally understood
    • KernelPanic agrees : Well said sir
    • JohnAimit agrees : Thanks - Perfect interpretation.
    SEO Professionals in NewDelhi It is different. Don't believe me? Go check yourself.
  25. No Profile Picture

I guess the others have covered all the important stuff. One thing I would like to add is the blatant manipulation of PA & DA that I have seen in my recent days of competitor analysis. Many web design/SEO agencies place "Designed By/Developed By/Optimized By" sitewide footer links in their client's websites. Majority of those agencies have 30-40 DA and about 90% of their link profile consists of these sitewide links. On the other hand, Google's John Mueller has said that these links should be nofollow-ed. I am not saying that these sitewide links aren't beneficial for SEO(Google says they aren't, competitor research says they are) but it is actually pretty easy to manipulate Page Authority and Domain Authority.
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

As few mentioned here,

Each product has its ranking metrics of how they think Google Ranks a page.

Majestic has Trust Flow, Ahrefs has URL Rating etc. So in essence some pages may not be as authoritative as indicated.... in fact some pages can be manipulated to look like they have high authority by blasting them with tools like GSA.

Even so, it is still possible to genuinely have lower authority than some websites and out rank them. Because you content could be better, could contain more relevant related keywords, could be better formatted, could have nicer elements such as graphs, quotes, tables, images (things that keep the user on the page longer - something Google monitors as a ranking factor, i.e. time on site)
  29. No Profile Picture

As nearly everyone has mentioned, the page authority & domain authority that you seem from third party services isn't the same as what Google uses internally.

However, there are many more factors that come into play such as the content on the page, link velocity, traffic, site quality, etc. (none of these are properly quantified by any third party service).

Right now Google has admitted that RankBrain is the third strongest ranking factor on Google and Rankbrain looks at the query (keyword you type) to figure out the intent. If Google's artificial intelligence deems that your post contains the best answer to the query, it will reward it with higher rankings in spite of having less backlinks. (Of course, if both sites have equal answers, then the one with more links will win!)
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: