1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

From page 1 to page 3 after removing meta tags and editing title

Hi, I wonder if the following on-page changes could have caused my page to "fall" in the SERPs from position 6 to 34 in just one day (the page has been parsed a few days before, so in the cache the unchanged version appeared until a week after):
    title went from [enticement][brandname] to [keywords][brand name], meta description and meta keywords tags have been deleted.
    Off-site changes: the owner of the website has accidentally put a copy of the page on another domain that he owns; the copy doesn't seem to be listed in Google, but it appears in the Yahoo when I search for the keywords.
    I'm responsible only for the on-page changes, and I can't figure out if the title change could have had this effect - deleting the keywords and description meta tag should have had no effect at all - right?
    Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to read and giving an opinion.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Your ranking dropped because you deleted meta description of the page.
    Meta keyword tag do not have any importance for Google but meta description is still important. Create a good description using targeted keywords that should encourage visitors to click on your link.
  5. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Originally Posted by WebDeveloper
    Your ranking dropped because you deleted meta description of the page.
    Not at all mate! Meta description plays no part in the SERPs and hasnt for some time! Your meta title (which is infact an elemant not mete tag) can make or break your site!

0ana was the keyword removed from your title thats now droped in rankings? If I was you would leave the new title for a week to see if it moves back (if its a good title but without seeing changes I dont know), and then if no improvement change it back.

Would you mind posting the full titles (old and new)?
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for answering!
    NathanielB, the on-page changes and the drop happened more than a week ago and there hasn't been any recovery; in the meantime the pages of the website have been crawled again as I can see from the date on the Google cache.
    The keyword hasn't been removed, but for one of the pages that have the drop I've inserted a word between the words in the keyphrase; can't post the exact titles but something fictional respecting the same structure is:

Old title: Michigan Dance Lessons | Dance Instructors Company
    New Title: Michigan Top Dance Lessons | Dance Instructors Company

On another page that has experienced an identical drop the change was:
    Old title: Institution City Dance Lessons |Dance Instructors Company (where "Institution" is where a certain event is hosted by the Dance Instructors Company)
    New Title: City State Dance Lessons | Dance Instructors Company

I try to optimize the pages for a keyword like "Dance Lessons Michigan".

There are 9 pages I try to optimize; the homepage has a ranking of 3/10 and keeps its place (4th position) but hasn't been modified in any way by me; the other pages have a 0/10 ranking (I'm not sure if this has any relevance, I have really no experience, so sorry if I add useless details to the thread) and have dropped.
    For all the pages I've done the same amount of (low quality or maybe worthless? I still have to learn a lot) link-building by making listings at local citation sources; strangely enough though, there's a page among those, the less important among them, that stays on position 14! That page's content has the word "Michigan" frequently mentioned in a naturally-flowing text written without considering SEO by the owner - otherwise it has received the same treatment as all the other pages that were doing better until now and are way behind at the moment.
    Thanks again for taking the time to help me!
    Last edited by 0ana; Apr 4th, 2011 at 08:22 AM.
  9. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Ok so in adding "Top" to your title you have told google the page is about a different keyword. I would leave it as it is if I was you and keep an eye on it over the next couple of days.

Have you made any more changes other then the title? I wouldn't have though such a small change would effect your rankings quite so much but I guess it would depend on how competitive the keywords are.

Hang in there I'm sure others will give their opinion in a bit

As for the 3/10 I take it your talking about pagerank (PR)? If so that play no part in rankings, I think others may think it plays some part but it wont be a lot if any IMO.

While keyword density don't mean a thing, do you have the keyword phrases you want to rank for on the page your trying to rank?

Last of all if you new to seo have a read of all the stickies on here, search for other threads related to this and have a read of the respected members comments.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for giving it a thought.
    I'll delete the word "top" from there and see what happens, although I don't expect much since this isn't the case with the other 3-4 pages that have suffered a similar drop.
    Regarding the content - i've added location details (city and state) in each page's content; the keyword is thus present in the content.
    I've been lurking here for a good while (which prevented me making a lot of mistakes) and I still have a lot to learn; in the mean time the owner of this site needs some help and I'm doing my best not to let him down.
    Especially because he will need good results in the following months I've decided to ask this specific question - since I walk on thin ice due to my lack of knowledge I wouldn't want to more bad than good.
    He can't seem to manage to take down the other copy of the website he has mistakenly published while trying to use a new domain (there's something about some redirects he's been doing but I don't know more about it) and I thought that the original page might have suffered because of the duplicated content - that's why I also consider creating new, original and unique content.