#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    4

    Own site ranks lower then forum site


    Hi,

    I got a website about scale modelling and post the build progress logs on both my website and international known forums.

    problem is, when you search for something like "M1070 build"
    the website "www.armorama.com" (scale modeller forum) ranks fourth, and my website ranks 12th!

    The big difference between Armorama and my site is that I create a different post for each build log "part" and armorama hosts everything on one single forum topic.

    Should I create one single post for all my build log parts per vehicle?

    Is there some way to let google know the "official" content is on my website?

    Thanks in advance!

    Boris
  2. #2
  3. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    1,388
    Rep Power
    1010
    The reason for Armorama's ranking is probably the fact that it is an established, trusted site. But the term "M1070 build" is not competitive. If you want to rank for it, put it at the beginning of your title tag. Chances are you will quickly be #1 for the term. Why? Because no one is targeting it in the title tag! See here:

    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=intitle%3A"M1070+build"&oq=intitle% 3A"M1070+build"

    Look into SEO on-page ranking factors.

    I hope this helps!
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    4
    Originally Posted by PhilipSEO
    The reason for Armorama's ranking is probably the fact that it is an established, trusted site. But the term "M1070 build" is not competitive. If you want to rank for it, put it at the beginning of your title tag. Chances are you will quickly be #1 for the term. Why? Because no one is targeting it in the title tag! See here:

    https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=intitle%3A"M1070+build"&oq=intitle% 3A"M1070+build"

    Look into SEO on-page ranking factors.

    I hope this helps!

    Thanks Philip!
    Will definitely look into it!
    appreciate your help!
  6. #4
  7. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Own site ranks lower then forum site


    When you post to the forums, link back to your sites inner pages posts about the same build log “parts”, so then you will get link juice from the forum flowing to your pages, and Google will realize the post originated from your site. (post to your site first always, so the time stamp of the blog post is older then the forums) eventually this should start to help your site gain more authority, also drive more traffic to your site, one of the reasons the forum may rank is because there is large amounts of activity and traffic on it.
    Last edited by PhilipSEO; Dec 4th, 2012 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Self-promotional spam deleted.
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    4
    Originally Posted by electmedia
    When you post to the forums, link back to your sites inner pages posts about the same build log “parts”, so then you will get link juice from the forum flowing to your pages, and Google will realize the post originated from your site. (post to your site first always, so the time stamp of the blog post is older then the forums) eventually this should start to help your site gain more authority, also drive more traffic to your site, one of the reasons the forum may rank is because there is large amounts of activity and traffic on it.
    Ok wil, do that! thanks for the suggestion.
    Could it help to afterwards add links to the forum posts?
    or is it to late now ?
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    4
    anyone? would it help to place link to my website from the forums I visit? or is it to late now?
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Registered User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0
    Yes, I agree with that if you want to optimize your keyword and site is coming on top for that keyword then you must use that keyword in the starting of the title tag.
  14. #8
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    4
    Originally Posted by Johnnyspost
    Yes, I agree with that if you want to optimize your keyword and site is coming on top for that keyword then you must use that keyword in the starting of the title tag.
    ?
    huh
    oh wait, this is spam right?
  16. #9
  17. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    634
    Rep Power
    473
    Be very careful on two fronts:

    - don't listen to anyone on a forum where it is their first post or they have no track record of being right or you could do yourself a great deal of damage. Note our friend above 'electmedia' has already been banned!

    - if you put content on both your own website and a forum chances are your own website could be completely dropped from Google for hosting duplicate content. If you place a link from the forum back to your website your drawing more attention than ever to it. So make sure the forum entry and the content of your own website are "the same but different"

    PhillipSEO's point about on page SEO is bang on. Also get yourself a Google+ page and link it in to your website so that when people do the search your face will show up next to your website in the search results - makes it more eyecatching even if you rank lower ....

    Make sense?
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    4
    Originally Posted by Doodled
    Be very careful on two fronts:

    - don't listen to anyone on a forum where it is their first post or they have no track record of being right or you could do yourself a great deal of damage. Note our friend above 'electmedia' has already been banned!

    - if you put content on both your own website and a forum chances are your own website could be completely dropped from Google for hosting duplicate content. If you place a link from the forum back to your website your drawing more attention than ever to it. So make sure the forum entry and the content of your own website are "the same but different"

    PhillipSEO's point about on page SEO is bang on. Also get yourself a Google+ page and link it in to your website so that when people do the search your face will show up next to your website in the search results - makes it more eyecatching even if you rank lower ....

    Make sense?
    Yeah makes sense! thanks!

    So I need to link from the existing forum posts to my website then?
    What do you mean with this:
    "So make sure the forum entry and the content of your own website are "the same but different""
    Do you mean the linking from the forum to my website?

    Please confirm that you mean the same thing.

    Thanks for the tips! will create Google+ page!
  20. #11
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    634
    Rep Power
    473
    A lot of people make this mistake:
    - they write a blog about something
    - they write about that same something on a forum and put a link to their blog

    Google sees both and thinks the blog is duplicating the content of the forum so it drops the blog from the rankings.

    Now links from forums, in Google's eyes, don't mean much but they can be useful in getting traffic so I wouldn't say "don't do it" but at the same time it is not essential.

    A great deal of what I write about on this forum already exists on my own website. What you have to avoid is the temptation to "copy and paste" just because you have already written about it....

    Clearer?
  22. #12
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    55
    Rep Power
    4
    Originally Posted by Doodled
    A lot of people make this mistake:
    - they write a blog about something
    - they write about that same something on a forum and put a link to their blog

    Google sees both and thinks the blog is duplicating the content of the forum so it drops the blog from the rankings.

    Now links from forums, in Google's eyes, don't mean much but they can be useful in getting traffic so I wouldn't say "don't do it" but at the same time it is not essential.

    A great deal of what I write about on this forum already exists on my own website. What you have to avoid is the temptation to "copy and paste" just because you have already written about it....

    Clearer?
    Thanks for your help!
    yes I understand, but it is stupid I cant copy and paste my content to a forum without losing ranking. Linking from that same forum post back to my page does not solve this you say? Because it seems like you did in your second to last reply right?

    Sorry if Iam being stupid about this, I just want to fix this and never have this problem again.

Similar Threads

  1. Is www.ripfast.com banned?
    By guna in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jan 29th, 2007, 04:40 AM
  2. Optimize your Optimizations - Bad examples
    By PRNewsNow in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Mar 1st, 2006, 07:27 PM
  3. Need N/A SE Rank explained
    By Ramses357 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: Jul 12th, 2005, 09:06 PM
  4. Google Recovery!
    By relaxzoolander in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 133
    Last Post: Mar 16th, 2004, 04:42 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo