1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Overture and wordtracker

Hi to all,

Can someone tell me what do overture and wordtracker show when we do a search?

Is it the number of searches for the given word in all search engines? are both results within a month?

Thanks

Andy
  3. Contributing User

Hi chechogr,

The results from overture come from themselves and are based on the searches in 1 month.

The results from the wordtracker comes from various metasearchengines(i.e. metacrawler) and is based on a daily basis.

I would recommend using both when you search for a good keyword, just to compare them with eachother. You can also use the Google Adwords suggestion tool.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Can you tell me wich are those metasearchengines?
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I think Overture results need to be multiplied by 8 to get the actual results. (I'm not 100% sure about this, please correct me if I'm wrong.)
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

wordtracker

Originally Posted by Tresern
    Hi chechogr,

The results from overture come from themselves and are based on the searches in 1 month.

The results from the wordtracker comes from various metasearchengines(i.e. metacrawler) and is based on a daily basis.

I would recommend using both when you search for a good keyword, just to compare them with eachother. You can also use the Google Adwords suggestion tool.

hmm..i always thought WT compiled results for 2 months. So the numbers i see are for the amount of people searching everyday? example below

"Searching...4 row(s) returned
    (taken from 368 million search queries over the last 60 days)"
  11. Contributing User

yes, wordtracker results are based on daily searches. anyway, it is not really important in what time these searches are done. just compare the searches of your keyword with a well-known popular keyword and you can calculate the importance of your keyword.

please note that if you compare the results of overture and wordtracker based on 1 keyword (by multiplying the wordtracker results with 30) you will see often a big difference in searches. that's why I recommend using them both, every time you make a keyword check.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I recommend digitalpoint.com
    that site has lots of tools and a particular one is that it gives the results for both wordtracker and overture on a daily basis.

That tool made me open this post.
  15. Free the SB
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Both Overture and Wordtracker are samples. Since probably 90% of traffic goes to google, yahoo, and MSN, they are somewhat small samples. Yet with the volume of overall search traffic they are probably pretty good for popular phrases and possibly weaker indicators for less trafficked phrases.

Regardless, I've noticed something incredibly predictive from Wordtracker's monthly reports. My main keyword phrase tends to a less competitive, less trafficked phrase. Regardless, after looking at Overture's totals for each month for a year it pretty well reflects the popularity of the phrase over the course of a year with the total searches roughly doubling for more popular months than the least popular. We've owned this business for 20 years so we can vouch for that type of seasonality. My experience is these tools do a pretty good job for assessing relative popularity of a keyword or keyword phrase...especially if they are mildly popular.

Dave
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Great repply earlperl.

Thanks for your opinion