1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Overflow:hidden vs. overflow:scroll

Can anyone confirm that Google will look favourably (or, rather, not look unfavourably) on text that is hidden below the fold by a div with an overflow:scroll setting?

I've been avoiding using overflow:hidden because Google will presumably penalise it, suspecting it to be spammy (it's not, but why take the chance?).

Is 'scroll' a safe option or is it also suspect?
  3. Mr. Goober Guy ;)
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

So long as the text is viewable, it cannot be consider hidden. Having the scroll on allows the text to be viewed within that layer and thus is not hidden, rather, requires the reader to scroll down to finish reading the information. I have used this technique for almost three years now on several sites where the text exceeds the amount of available space to display it without any problems.

Originally Posted by ricklecoat
    Can anyone confirm that Google will look favourably (or, rather, not look unfavourably) on text that is hidden below the fold by a div with an overflow:scroll setting?

I've been avoiding using overflow:hidden because Google will presumably penalise it, suspecting it to be spammy (it's not, but why take the chance?).

Is 'scroll' a safe option or is it also suspect?
    Cheerios!

New to SEO? See the FAQ!

My Disclaimer:
    Don't Listen To Me - I know nothing!
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Smashing, thanks gchaney.
    Just what I needed to know (it's what I guessed, but I'm glad to have it confirmed). There's so much bloody guesswork and cat-and-mouse games with Google that it can be very tiresome at times, so it's nice to get some concrete information now and then.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo