1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Are directory sites getting too much respect from google?

I'm continually trying to improve my small local business ranking for my 2 main search terms on a small budget.
    "driving school suburb" and "driving lessons suburb"
    Thanks to seochat members I've made lots of modifications to my site and gone from nothing to page 3 (sometimes page 2) in web results and solid in local results so I'm making lots of progress.
    Lately, big directory sites are showing a stronger presence in page 1 serps. Is it possible for a small business with a simple site to compete?
    OR
    Should I give up fighting and try ranking higher on the main directory sites to get a gig on THEIR page 1 listing?

It almost feels like google algorithm has started rewarding directory sites for previously punishable offences.
    After all, a directory is purely built on keyword stuffing and lack of content.
    Last edited by eclipsed; Mar 9th, 2017 at 05:40 AM. Reason: clarity
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Option 2!

Google wants to improve user experience so what is better for a user, a directory with a large selection of 'driving lessons suburb' or your site which is one option?

You can get excellent well targeted traffic if you make sure your directory listings are comprehensive (full descriptions, maximum number of photos, etc, etc). With some clients I also find it very effective to pay for premium positions but if you go that route make sure you have good monitoring in place to measure your ROI.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks for responding Doodled. I know there's no point me fighting the tide of Google's methodology but it helps my mental state to at least get off my chest how flawed Google's rankings are knowing your comments are correct.
    Originally Posted by Doodled
    Google wants to improve user experience so what is better for a user, a directory with a large selection of 'driving lessons suburb' or your site which is one option?
    This is just a rant and I don't disagree with what you've said but if Google genuinely wanted to improve user experience why would they list Yellow Pages for their generic "driving school" page at #2 then show the Yellow Pages listing for "abc driving school" at #3 for most suburbs?
    I could accept either being ranked highly but not BOTH for "improved user experience". My opinion won't change anything but I had to say it anyway

Originally Posted by Doodled
    You can get excellent well targeted traffic if you make sure your directory listings are comprehensive (full descriptions, maximum number of photos, etc, etc). With some clients I also find it very effective to pay for premium positions but if you go that route make sure you have good monitoring in place to measure your ROI.
    This is where it gets murky. There are 2 suburbs that I am trying to improve my ranking for a dozen variations of keywords. For both, Yellow Pages generic "driving school" is #2 and ranking at #3 is the YP listing for "suburb1 driving school" and "suburb2 driving school"
    ROI is definitely negative if I take out the advertising that the YP sales rep told me I need to rank above the businesses that make their #1 YP listing
    I know both business operators that are #1 in Yellow Pages for each suburb. If either one of them are paying what YP quoted me to be higher than them in their directory listing they would both be out of business. They both charge substantially less than is sustainable for this type of business and they are both working a lot less hours.
    Short term ads in YP might provide a spike in traffic but in a high turnover business its difficult to justify the long term benefit.

I'm concerned how much all the directory sites are slowly climbing the SERPs and as I've said before, directories are purely ranking through keyword stuffing. If any of my website pages showed the words "driving school" etc as often as a directory site page does with not much user friendly content I would be penalised for life

I've had my rant.