1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Outbound links from subdomain

Let's say I have a website at - www.mydomain.com
    I create a blog at - blog.mydomain.com

Will outbound links from blog.mydomain.com effect in any way my main website, i.e. www.mydomain.com?

I read recently that subdomains are being treated in a slightly different way recently and not sure about this matter.
  3. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

If your blog earns links from other website then some value from those links will pass through to your main site - if they are linked.

Google has changed how subdomains are treated a few times over the past few years.

My blog is in a folder rather than a subdomain. The reason... my blog often links to related content pages on my domain. In many instances both of these pages are able to make the top ten of google. This gives me double listing. My blog and the homepage of my site hold #1 and #2 for the main terms that they are optimized for. If my blog was in a SUBDOMAIN (edited) I would not have that dominance.
    Last edited by EGOL; Feb 22nd, 2008 at 11:11 AM.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

sorry but outbound links from blog.mydomain.com will have no any effect in your main website... these are of both different URLs...

the only effect of this as what i can see is that having an outbound link from blog.mydomain.com directing to your main site gives traffic to your main site and which is good...

so your blog.mydomain.com must be really good to impress its readers and make them read more and even click those links...

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : I disagree. If the blog gets outside links from other websites then some value will pass to the main site.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by EGOL
    If your blog earns links from other website then some value from those links will pass through to your main site - if they are linked.

Google has changed how subdomains are treated a few times over the past few years.
    True, but the question was about outbound links. I cannot answer that question, but I'm fairly sure that the positive effects of outbound links are very limited. Negative effects like penalization/ban because of bad neighbourhood? That's a good question. I would not take chances.

My blog is in a folder rather than a subdomain. [...] If my blog was in a folder I would not have that dominance.
    You probably meant subdomain rather than folder in your first sentence?

If malta has sufficiently good content to make the top 10 rankings for important keywords with the blog and his page, then it's a good move. Otherwise, focussing all energy on one domain is the better choice, I think.
    Last edited by Chris42; Feb 22nd, 2008 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Wrong reference to previous poster
  9. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

If a blog in a subdomain earns links from outside of your website then some value will be passed to your main site if they are linked. If the blog earns no links then the links from the blog to the website will be worth nothing. Nothing in, nothing out. You suspected that you could manufacture links. You can but they are worth nothing.

EDITED: (there was an error - thanks for reading it carefully )

My blog is in a folder rather than a subdomain. [...] If my blog was in a SUBDOMAIN I would not have that dominance.
    Last edited by EGOL; Feb 22nd, 2008 at 09:51 AM.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

hi EGOL = ) i agree with you that's why i said
    "the only effect of this as what i can see is that having an outbound link from blog.mydomain.com directing to your main site gives traffic to your main site and which is good..."

due to having a hard time explaining it i made a wrong use of words... but i appreciated you for the hand, thanks!

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : OK... thank you... sorry for the mixup.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Ah, I see.
    Of course, if you had a very strong domain and a very strong subdomain, then you could get 4 listings, right?. However, in practice this is so unlikely to occur for relevant search terms that it's not practical or advisable, correct?

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : Good point... that is probably true.
  15. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

To have four pages in the same SERP, you would need four pages on your site that are optimized for the same term (or powerful for that term). It might be better to diversity two of those pages rather than have them all in the same SERP - unless there is a lot of money in the SERP.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your answers, but need to clarify my question better I guess ...

From our main website we don't link out much and we are successfully ranking for some important keywords. We are considering making a blog on a subdomain or new domain completely. If we have quite a number of outbound links to 3rd party websites from our subdomain, can that have a negative effect on our main website?

We don't want to make anything shady, but in the blog will have lots of discussions and guess lots of links too.

Thanks again
    Last edited by malta; Feb 22nd, 2008 at 01:53 PM.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In short ... do outbound links (to various other sources) from a subdomain, effect in any way the main domain?

What are the advantages or disadvantages of hosting a blog on a subdomain rather then on a completely new url? Thanks
    Last edited by malta; Feb 23rd, 2008 at 06:08 AM.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by malta
    In short ... do outbound links (to various other sources) from a subdomain, effect in any way the main domain?
    As i already said: I doubt that there is a measurable if any effect.

What are the advantages or disadvantages of hosting a blog on a subdomain rather then on a completely new url? Thanks
    Well, read the posts above... we discussed it in depth. There are many many other threads on the same topic as well. Search those for more info.