1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Outbound links - need some clairty

I understand that google doesnt like to see more than 100 links on any page, but what exactly are they counting as links?..

e.g. i want to put as many links on my homepage as possible going to other pages in my site, but am worried that there will be too many..

Does google count the links in a drop down bar as a link?.. or does it mean text links on the page?

and if it does include drop down links, do they have to have an 'enter' button next to them or just the ones where you select the option and it takes you to that page straight away?

Also, do they mean 100 inbound and outbound links combined?
  3. Banned
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Every link which can be detect by google crawler in the source code of the page will be counted as link.
    Originally Posted by cunning_stunt
    I understand that google doesnt like to see more than 100 links on any page, but what exactly are they counting as links?..

e.g. i want to put as many links on my homepage as possible going to other pages in my site, but am worried that there will be too many..

Does google count the links in a drop down bar as a link?.. or does it mean text links on the page?

and if it does include drop down links, do they have to have an 'enter' button next to them or just the ones where you select the option and it takes you to that page straight away?

5. rod@missionop.com
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by cunning_stunt

First - email links are inlcuded (that should help).

Even though Google suggests 100 this is an average for "all websites" no matter the overall size or resource type.

Top level pages should be kepted to a minimum - say 25-50. As you go deeper you can up it to 100, and go deeper 150-200... it much more dependent on competitive nature of your industry as well as term diversity.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

the problem i have is that i sell a product or service and want to link form the homepage to as many products or categories of products as i can..

if i link on a 'tree' like basis, will that be just as effective as linking form the homepage?