1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Optimizing a Search Engine

I have a custom search engine that I'm in the process of driving traffic to it. I have been using my blog to drive most of the traffic but it would be nice to start optimizing the engine in other ways. The question I have is can I link certain blog entries to my search results? Will it help optimize some of my searches? More importantly could this be considered black Hat SEO?

I have seen several other sites that are doing this and their search results for their custom search engine are starting to come up on regular searches.
  3. Roll the dice.. and live
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Hmmm I think i see a fundemental flaw in your reasoning or I am just missunderstanding what you are actually asking.

By optimising and seeing this thread is placed in the google optimization forum I am assuming you wish your search engine to come up first when some one types 'search engine' into google.

I do not think that this is going to work. I donot think people search a SE for other SE. Maybee i am wrong.

If you want to generate traffic for a new search engine than I would think you would need to use other methods than normal optimization techniques.
    Live the moment
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

You can go ahead and link to search result pages from your blog. While people most probably won't search for 'search engine' in Google, they might search for a topic covered by your custom search engine, find a results page of your SE and then start using it regularly.

I would not link to a SE results page in each and every blog post but just every now and then.
  7. No Profile Picture

No nothing like that. I will give you an example. If my custom search engine was compiled of animal shelters and I linked the search result for NY Animal Shelters on my blog. Would the search result for NY Animal Shelters have a chance of showing up on the search engines? After all I think they are getting indexed or at least thats what I'm seeing from other sites.
  9. No Profile Picture

That was the answer I was looking for. Thanks Chris!