1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Optimising for multiple locations

My question
    What is the best way to optimise for a mobile service business that serves multiple locations?

Detail
    My business offers a replacement car key service to customers throughout London. When customers search for a company like mine they are likely to search for an auto locksmith in their area. i.e auto locksmith in Wembley, auto locksmith in Clapham, etc etc. I would like to be found for all areas I service.

My current strategy has been to build a separate page for each area eg. /autolocksmiths-wembley.html.

Im making every effort possible not to create duplicate content, but if I complete this approach I could end up with hundreds of pages, and making each page unique when the only difference is the location area is tough.

Would love to hear if anyone takes a different approach to this and any advice welcomed.

Thanks
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by autolock
    My question
    What is the best way to optimise for a mobile service business that serves multiple locations?

Detail
    My business offers a replacement car key service to customers throughout London. When customers search for a company like mine they are likely to search for an auto locksmith in their area. i.e auto locksmith in Wembley, auto locksmith in Clapham, etc etc. I would like to be found for all areas I service.

My current strategy has been to build a separate page for each area eg. /autolocksmiths-wembley.html.

Im making every effort possible not to create duplicate content, but if I complete this approach I could end up with hundreds of pages, and making each page unique when the only difference is the location area is tough.

Would love to hear if anyone takes a different approach to this and any advice welcomed.

Thanks
    Any thoughts?
  5. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

That's what I'd do, even if it is a lot of work. You're right - you've got to avoid duplicate content too.
    New: Learn SEO - A complete course for beginners:LEARN SEO
    Want to hire a reputable SEO? I'll connect you with an SEO company you can trust.
  7. No Profile Picture
    -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Hi, I remembered an Interview with Matt Cutts where he used a pizza place available in different citys and how they would best optimize for that

He says on duplicate content..

Matt Cutts: Where people get into trouble here is that they fill these pages with the exact same content on each page. “Our handcrafted pizza is lovingly made with the same methods we have been using for more than 50 years …”, and they’ll repeat the same information for 6 or 7 paragraphs, and it’s not necessary. That information would be great on a top-level page somewhere on the site, but repeating it on all those pages does not look good. If users see this on multiple pages on the site they aren’t likely to like it either
    Then he goes on about what they should have on the page instead..

Matt Cutts: In addition to address and contact information, 2 or 3 sentences about what is unique to that location and they should be fine.
    http://www.stonetemple.com/matt-cutts-and-eric-talk-about-what-makes-a-quality-site/

^ The full interview.

Now I'm pretty sure you wont have an address in these locations so skip that.. but apparently just a few sentences is fine, maybe a map of that area you could stick in..a customer review from that area you could use for some more unique content etc.

Comments on this post

• autolock agrees : Cheers for your ideas. This is what I was thinking, lots of work ahead!
    • Faith agrees : Thank you :)
    Last edited by DarrenHaye; Sep 1st, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill