1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Optimal number of words per website page

Hi, just wondering what the optimal number of words are for a page in terms of SEO - showed one of my websites to an SEO star the other day, who promptly told me that they couldn't optimise it with such a lack of space for copy - she suggested 200 words gives just about enough flexibility. Thanks in Advance, Z
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by zarmen
    Hi, just wondering what the optimal number of words are for a page in terms of SEO - showed one of my websites to an SEO star the other day, who promptly told me that they couldn't optimise it with such a lack of space for copy - she suggested 200 words gives just about enough flexibility. Thanks in Advance, Z
    If an SEO tells you they can't optimize your site, go somewhere else.

Text on a page, although it helps, is NOT a requirement.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic

I'd say it's still fairly significant though. If you're in a really competitive vertical, not having content containing your targeted keywords would be a fairly big setback. Obviously not impossible (as you noted), but a lot harder, other things being equal (competitior domain strength, back link profile, etc.).

But in answering the question, I think there's no magic number. Whatever content IS there, it just needs to be well optimized and read naturally. If you're not getting results (in conjunction with all of your other SEO work like link acquisition, etc.) then it's a matter of tinkering with the copy to see if more/less/different it has any effect. 200 words is probably just a random benchmark the SEO person used when trying to communicate that they'd like some text content to work with.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally Posted by KernelPanic

I have to differ, if you want a page to rank, text is a requirement, however there are no fixed numbers of words required or keyword densities for that matter.
  9. StuckOn.co.uk
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by BrianSeo
    I have to differ, if you want a page to rank, text is a requirement, however there are no fixed numbers of words required or keyword densities for that matter.
    I have to agree - text on the page is a very important ranking factor.

Yes, you can rank a page without any significant form of textual content, but you'll have to make up the SEO elsewhere - and that usually happens with links. It's much easier to rank a page when it has a significant amount of content, but it sounds like the OP is after the magic number - the mystical formula of content to which Google's alarms go off and websites start shooting to the top of the SERPs - there isn't one.

There's no magic number for words on a page, or for keyword density (as that's usually the question that follows) - but, and I will stress this as being very important, the OP stated that his site didn't have room for content; websites should NEVER being designed so that content cannot be added through lack of space. A web design that limits the content is a poor web design. Content should be the most important factor with any design, for users and for SEO.

Comments on this post

• GrindcoreVlad agrees
  11. Busting SEOChat Spammers!
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

Content is king, and kings have no limit!

There is no magic number to the min or max amount of content on a page, as long as your content is what people are searching for you will rank for it if you do your SEO right.
    New To SEOChat? See Here & the FAQ's

"stupid people say stupid things, and smart people out smart each other!" SOAD
    301 Redirects | SEO Tools | Default htaccess | CuteRank