1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Opinion: No need to write description

Hey everyone. I will make it short:
    My opinion is that I would rather not to write a description in inner page. The reason is - Google will choose the most proper description for the user who searched for "bla bla bla bla" (when my site will appear on the serps).
    I think google might put my site lower in this query, just because of my static description is not suitable for what this user searched for (especially for long tail searches).

What do you think about it?

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Make your static description more suitable?
  5. My views are my own ;)
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Buts
    =
    I think google might put my site lower in this query, just because of my static description is not suitable for what this user searched for (especially for long tail searches).

What do you think about it?
    I am confused Are you talking about META description? What do you mean by static description? Just making sure.

My thoughts are quite opposite:

- Don't rely on Google to do that job for you. I see paging make it to the SERPs very often, so the search snippet looks like "1,2,3, ... Jump to next page. Here's what I think, sorry the writer didn't point me to the better text here".

- I've never heard about Google down-ranking anyone because of the meta description.

- Write a good meta description that naturally mentions your keyword and it will be picked for your most important search term. Worth a shot!

Please read this one as well: http://www.stateofsearch.com/google-gave-us-two-more-reasons-for-getting-your-meta-description-in-order/

Comments on this post

• zico82 agrees
    Everything will be ok in the end

If it's not ok, it's not the end
  7. Contributing User

Do you want to leave it to Google to provide a snippet for your site when you could possibly write a more descriptive and enticing description yourself?. If so then crack on and good luck with it.

The description tag, IMO, is not going to affect your position on a SERP. If it does have any weight it is very little at best.

*Edit*
    Just seen Ann's post and her example of what type of snippet Google can show is a prime example of why it is better to write your own.
    Last edited by zico82; Nov 12th, 2012 at 10:58 AM.
  9. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

It takes 60 seconds to write them. Why skip it? Google is not the only SE out there and you should ideally want to control what text is shown on your SERP.
    www.V2INTERACTIVE.net - SEO Web Design | On-Page SEO | SEO Audits & Reports | Link Building
    BASED IN ATLANTA, GA. Contact: Skype/Phone/Email (Discounted rates available for SEOChat members only - email seochat@v2interactive.net)
    Please EMAIL me at the above address and do not send Private Messages. I rarely check them and your message will be lost.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You are not getting down to my point.
    I'll give an example for something I thought:
    I have a Blog, in that blog I have a page that explain about 3 issues/subjects/problems. For example - I wrote about "how to install analytics" BUT also I wrote on that page "Why install google analytics can be wrong for your site".
    So in this situation (when I have 2-3 subjects in one post) I am asking - Why to Write a unique (and static) description about analytics (where I can miss some good points), when google can set the description of my page to the user when he searched for something that I do have on the page, but not in the description. And then I can miss this user.

I hope you understand my point here...
  13. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat High Scholar (3500 - 3999 posts)

I have a Blog, in that blog I have a page that explain about 3 issues/subjects/problems. For example - I wrote about "how to install analytics" BUT also I wrote on that page "Why install google analytics can be wrong for your site".
    So in this situation (when I have 2-3 subjects in one post) I am asking - Why to Write a unique (and static) description about analytics (where I can miss some good points), when google can set the description of my page to the user when he searched for something that I do have on the page, but not in the description. And then I can miss this user.

Not to sound rude, but if that's the case - why not simply make one blog post per problem? Long term, this would help you rank a lot better for long term and exact phrase matches.

If you're going to STICK with your method, then it's not practical to do every post - I would look into some plugins (assuming you're on a CMS) that might help automate the process.

Comments on this post

• jimmyn agrees
  15. Contributing User

If you let Google make your descriptions for you it will basically take random text that it feels relevant and use that as your Meta description. If you take the time to write it yourself, it may not seem practical at first but you will be able to target your customer better. I know I don't click on a site with a generic looking description because it looks spammy to me. Don't think like a businessman when you work your SEO, think like a consumer.
  17. Contributing User

You can still summarise a broad post in your description - eg:

Should you install Google Analytics on your site? Read our Installation instructions, and information on whether Google analytics is right for your site.

Or you could do it your way, and test which snippets Google shows in the SERPS for the three different angles you would show up for.

Comments on this post

• prasunsen agrees : This sounds like the best solution
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

OK thanks for you answers!
    Just to cleaer this up - I do use Meta tag description. it is just something that passed in my mind.

And look what i found!
    Some one asked that question John Mueller:

Okay... so i'm not allowed to put here links.
    So if you do want to see this, go to youtube and search for "Webmaster Central 2". The question is on 18:20 minutes
  21. Agency SEO
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I agree with the OP in most cases. A well written information piece can contain virtually hundreds of long tails. Allowing Google to use a snippet of text from my page will give me a best chance of having a KW rich description on the results page.

On the other hand if I have an ecommerce page built to sell red nike air jordans then I most likely would create my own description tag.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : I think that creative people can write descriptions that elicit clicks and include keywords.
  23. Traffic drop sleuth. :)
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

I use meta descriptions on some pages and not others.

I use it for pages that I really want to be spread around Facebook. The meta description will be the snippet that is shared on people's wall when they share the post. So, I write an enticing description that makes people say, "Wow, I need to read this article."

I have other pages that are not likely to get Facebook shares. For example, take an about us page for a realtor in Springfield that services many subdivisions. There may be several paragraphs with different topics on this page. Google will make a meta description from those topics based on the user's query.

So, for example, if someone searched for "realtor in Springfield", Google may serve up a meta description from my text saying, "Joe is a realtor in Springfield who can meet all of your real estate needs..."

But if they searched for "realtor in [subdivision], Springfield", Google may show a meta description that says, "We have many homes for sale in [subdivision], Springfield..."

Similarly, if they searched for "christian realtor in Springfield", that same page may show a meta description saying, "Joe is a Christian realtor who buys and sells homes in Springfield..."

This isn't going to get me a higher SERP, but could get a higher CTR.

Comments on this post

• KernelPanic agrees : well said Doc
  25. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Dr.Marie
    I use meta descriptions on some pages and not others.

I use it for pages that I really want to be spread around Facebook. The meta description will be the snippet that is shared on people's wall when they share the post. So, I write an enticing description that makes people say, "Wow, I need to read this article."

I have other pages that are not likely to get Facebook shares. For example, take an about us page for a realtor in Springfield that services many subdivisions. There may be several paragraphs with different topics on this page. Google will make a meta description from those topics based on the user's query.

So, for example, if someone searched for "realtor in Springfield", Google may serve up a meta description from my text saying, "Joe is a realtor in Springfield who can meet all of your real estate needs..."

But if they searched for "realtor in [subdivision], Springfield", Google may show a meta description that says, "We have many homes for sale in [subdivision], Springfield..."

Similarly, if they searched for "christian realtor in Springfield", that same page may show a meta description saying, "Joe is a Christian realtor who buys and sells homes in Springfield..."

This isn't going to get me a higher SERP, but could get a higher CTR.

Thank you Dr.Marie!
    You explained exactly what I had in my mind, but with a perfect examples : )