1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

One landing page de-indexed

I have a domain that I've worked on for five years. The site is dominant for its search terms across the board all no1 spots held bar one.

Anyhow the one search term we don't hold a no1 position for was being worked on and new content added to its landing page. I also provided two domains that I 301 redirected to the landing page. Both good domains one very specific and one not but it creates diversity in the incoming anchors. All was going great sitting at position 5. Checked tonight and the landing page has dropped out the index and both 301s showing as de-indexed. (Maybe the norm of their target page has been dropped) the 301s have been in place for 5 maybe 6 months. No messages in the search console.

Never had this problem before. The rest of the site is fine and ranking. Has anybody got any experience of this? Thanks

The only new thing on that page is content. Everything else has been in place for a long time.
  3. Professional SEO

90% of the time when people say their site has been de-indexed, it's usually still in the index. Are you able to confirm the site is no longer in Google? And not that it has only disappeared from the SERPS?
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    90% of the time when people say their site has been de-indexed, it's usually still in the index. Are you able to confirm the site is no longer in Google? And not that it has only disappeared from the SERPS?
    Hey DHits,
    Yes when using the site: operator the page URL is not in the index. It did reappear for a day after this post but it has now gone again. I've requested a recrawl from the search console. I'm going to remove the two 301 redirects. The rest of the site is fine. Ranking well. I find it strange if it is the 301s that Google would remove the page from the index for just 2 and leave the rest of the site alone. If it's not the 301s I will have the new page content removed. Better thought I may rebuild the page with a new URL. That may be my best bet?
  7. Professional SEO

This kind of has me baffled. I had a somewhat similar experience a few months ago with Google on a relatively new site. They would index the pages and then take them out for a few days. This went on for a couple of months, but it seems odd with an existing older page..

I think I would lean more toward building links to these pages. It is possible that the algorithm simply changed a little and Google doesn't find the page as attractive. Just my best guess. Maybe someone else has more knowledge on this situation.
  9. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Just a guess but could you make sure this page does not compete with another page for this Keyword? If this is the case try monitor the two pages rankings for the same keyword. If when one page disappears the other appears, then it might be SERP folding. Check for Keyword canibalization you should find some info about it.

Comments on this post

• DirectHits agrees
    Owner of Bennetonable - "My opinions are my own - Feel free to disagree & think above the fold."
    Need a quick analysis > Free SEO grader Beta
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hi....Can you share your website Google webmaster details...I will review and get back to you...
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by DirectHits
    This kind of has me baffled. I had a somewhat similar experience a few months ago with Google on a relatively new site. They would index the pages and then take them out for a few days. This went on for a couple of months, but it seems odd with an existing older page..

I think I would lean more toward building links to these pages. It is possible that the algorithm simply changed a little and Google doesn't find the page as attractive. Just my best guess. Maybe someone else has more knowledge on this situation.
    Is it possible that google has changed its mind about the one if the domains I've redirected and that's causing the prOblrm. The site is in the dental sector and ranks for everything else i target. My other thought is. I advised the site owner we need more content on the page. This was The most recent change. I'm also baffled
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Pierre,
    thanks for your reply. The site is in dental so there is just the one relevant page for this treatment. We now have no result for this treatment but have number 1 / 2 for every other in a big UK city and a smaller town.
    As I said to DHits new content was added recently? Maybe I should drop the redirects. Can a penalty be passed down a 301?
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by hunter86
    Can a penalty be passed down a 301?
    Yes ! Happens more often than you might imagine.

Comments on this post

• hunter86 agrees : Thanks
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Update* the website is back in the index and ranking position 5. I guess google was having a play around
  21. SeoRaptor
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Good to know. Thanks for keeping us updated