1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Old Site, New Design and Content

I believe that this topic has been covered in other posts, but for some reason, I couldn't find much on it. With that in mind, I apologize in advance if this is duplicating anything ...

I have a site that has been in the Google index for a couple of years (main page has consistantly had a PR 5 ranking) ... However, recently, I completely redesigned the site, added new content, etc. I was mindful along the way in setting up my 301 redirects and in good linking structure. Most of the new content, etc. was based on things I have learned from this forum, so thanks to all for the great information

Last week, freshbot paid the site a visit, and picked up almost all of my new content and changes. A couple of days later, traffic to the site increased several times over. After checking my logs, I found that all of this new traffic was coming from new content pages that were in the Google index. A great thing

However, as I'm sure most saw some of the same, yesterday everything changed. Now, the only datacenter with my new content is www-in, and the only traffic I am getting from the new content is from Yahoo, which I understand will eventually change as well when Yahoo picks up the new Google index ...

Question is when (or if) the new content will reappear, given that this site had good PR to start with ...

As always, thanks in advance for your replies
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hello Clueless!

Your new updated pages should appear on a more permanent basis after next months dance.

Yes next month! - Thats if they are picked up during the deepcrawl that is going on? (not sure if it is or not).

However, because they were picked up by the FreshBOT, there's a good chance that they'll appear on a random, unpredictive basis untill the next dance.

-Jon
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I have a similar question.... . If I redo my site and change the name of each page, can I still leave my old pages out on the server to collect traffic (but disconnected from my new site navigation)...

At the same time I would have my new pages (some of which would have duplicate content or very very similar content of the old pages).. renamed and on the server as my new site.

Would my new pages be skipped in the index because they are duplicates? Or would this get me banned, even though I am only doing it to keep my income stream intact.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Sounds a bit risky to me EGOL, It's very unlikely thay you'll be banned.

I don't know weather or not your pages will be penailized, but I wouldn't recommend having pages with duplicate or even similar content - even if you don't link to them.

Of course, if you're relying on traffic from other websites for your old pages you could leave them up and prevent them from being crawled by using robots.txt file.

-Jon
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Ok ... I have more content to add to this site. So should I publish it now while this mess is still going on, or wait until after this dance is complete ?