1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

"Old" or "new" second level domains?

I'm building a multinational site and will buy domain names pretty much all countries.

I've been looking around how big international sites does this and I have a question regarding second level domains.

If we take Peru as an example, they (according to Wikipedia" had domains like .net.pe, .com.pe .org.pe etc before. And "Starting from December 8, 2007 the registry accepts registrations directly at the second level.", which means I can now register just a ".pe" domain name.

But when I look at some big sites, many of them use the .com.pe and have bought the .pe -domain, but just use it as a redirect to the .com.pe.

As I see it, this makes sense if they already had the .com.pe and it doesn't matter for their SEO which one they use.

In my case, I'm starting a new site and will be able to buy both, so with "less is more" in mind, my first though is to go with just ".pe" and also buy ".com.pe" and just redirect it. Are there any disadvantages of this? I've never worked with SEO in countries like this before, so I'm thinking maybe I'm missing something here for the SEO. Have anyone of you worked with SEO in countries with these domain extensions before and have any thoughts?

Edit: If looking at Google, .com.pe works, but not .pe. In some other cases, they redirects (like Venezuela from .com.ve to .co.ve).

Many thanks in advance!
    Last edited by Ebba; Mar 7th, 2017 at 02:53 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

.com.pe vs .pe

Why do companies buy .com.pe and .pe ??
    When you buy different TLD's, you are securing your brand for the future. That is the reason for having redirects.

There is no difference for Google and for ranking from the algorithmic point of view between both of them.

I had discussions about .com.pe in the past about them having a slightly bigger impact because of the psychological aspect of having .com, it gives some subconscious indication of status to the domain, from a user perspective. That is debatable if it's actually true.
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by Foreprime SEO
    There is no difference for Google and for ranking from the algorithmic point of view between both of them.
    What do you base that on? Are there any articles or have someone from Google said something.

My guess is also that there shouldn't be any differences, but when paying for going all the way with ccTLDs, I want to make sure I'm doing it right.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by Foreprime SEO
    Originally Posted by Ebba
    What do you base that on? Are there any articles or have someone from Google said something.
    Both are domain names, both are top level and the Google Algorithm doesn't change.

I'm building a multinational site and will buy domain names pretty much all countries
    The one problem you have is that you will be by the nature of the domain name restrict your site to Peru. It is what the County Code was designed to to.

I would possibly choose a new domain name.
    I would get the domain-name.com, then get the domain-name.com.pe then get the domain-name.pe (I used hypens for readability only, not to mean use them in the domain name) and all the rest you want to purchase for brand protection.
    Then you can make the site rank internationally easier, and redirect the appropriate domains to the proper landing pages...This way you keep all the juice inside the one site.

Redirect mydomain-name.com.pe and mydomian.pe to www.mydomain-name.com/pe/
    You could do the same with the other domains.....
    Redirect www.mydomain-name.co.uk to www.mydomain-name.com/GB/
    Redirect www.mydomain-name.de to www.mydomain-name.com/DE/
    Redirect www.mydomain-name.fr to www.mydomian-name.com/FR/

This way you end up with a single site to take care of ... not lots of different sites to care for.

Much easier to rank the inner pages, read up on your hreflang tags as well...
  9. No Profile Picture

Thanks for a great reply!

I've been reading up on this a lot lately and it seems like going with just a .com (but still buying ccTLDs for brand protection) will be the way to go.

How does link power of incoming links works in subdomains vs folders?

As I see it, there could be a structural benefit of having the content a folder closer to the root (site.com/keyword/ is better than site.com/folder/keyword/). Although mapping this is Search Console as geagraphical folders might solve the problem.

But if i have some really good links to site.com and then adds site.com/fr/ I guess some of that link power will be beneficial for that language. But will it be so if I break it out to fr.site.com instead? So in this way (and I guess that's what mean with "Much easier to rank the inner pages") there should no better way than just using folders?

Update:
    While trying to find more info on the subject, I've only found for content pages, not yet for handling language/countries. Here's an interesting post with some links: https://moz.com/community/q/moz-s-of...-need-updating
    But at the same time, when making a search for one of the most competitive queries like: "hotels london" from Sweden (where I'm based) I only get ccTLDs and subdomain results. So kind of wierd that big players (tripadvisor, hotels.com, trivago etc) don't do it this way.
    Last edited by Ebba; Mar 9th, 2017 at 06:59 AM. Reason: Adding info
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

You can do it with sub domains, but in then you have many sites to take care of ...

Then you have to rank each sub ....

Using folders is just less headache and less maintenance...
  13. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by KnowOneSpecial
    You can do it with sub domains, but in then you have many sites to take care of ...

Then you have to rank each sub ....

Using folders is just less headache and less maintenance...
    Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it!

The technical aspect will not be any problems in this case.

Rand Fishkin talkes about a "local boost" by having a ccTLD over here:
    https://moz.com/blog/international-s...teboard-friday

Seems like the domains "authority boost" using subdirectories will be winning this battle though. At least in the beginning, there will not be any time link building for the smaller countires, so the synergies of link building seems too big to not afford to do.

Going forward with the subdirectories, what's your thoughs on language & country combinations.

So two more questions:
    1. site.com should target en-us, but probably just have html and hreflang to = "en", but not have a /en/ or /en-us/ directory ?
    2. How about countries that only have one language, like Mexico, should I use /es-mx/ or just /mx/ in this case?
  15. Entrepreneur
    SEO Chat Scholar (3000 - 3499 posts)

You do your business I do mine because you are you and I am I If we meet it is nice.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

site.com should target en-us, but probably just have html and hreflang to = "en", but not have a /en/ or /en-us/ directory ?
    I would make sure I had a very prominent Language Menu Selection and let folks choose the lang ver of choice on the home page. So aside from the home page, I would then put everything in it's proper sub-dir /en/, /gb/, /ca/, etc etc....
    Also keep in mind that English spoken in England, Canada, and American has its nuances. The differences can be quite dramatic, for example bespoke in England means made to order. Here in America we use the term custom order. The two do not rank the same... keep that in mind.

How about countries that only have one language, like Mexico, should I use /es-mx/ or just /mx/ in this case?

Hey Mate, Normally I would
    Google it I just happen to know that es is Spain and mx is Mexico

Comments on this post

• Prof.stan agrees
  19. No Profile Picture

Great, big thanks for the help, I'll go this way!