1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Old Index Pattern

I have been seeing a pattern like this almost every 5-7 days.

Index update. Changes in SERPs. Fresh links on all datacenters for about 3 days. Then back to old index with old (not fresh) links and slight changes in SERPS.

I am totally confused. Why is this happening? Is this a pattern? Does this happen when a major update is happening or is it a glitch.

Any ideas?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

I see fresh links daily... although sometimes if they don't get updated for a few days, the date won't show for a particular link, but I've never seen the whole index revert back to an old copy.

- Shawn
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

I have page revisions appear in the SERPs then, a couple days later, the old version will be back and persist for several days. The old and new versions can flash back and forth a few times.... but after a few weeks the new version will stick.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks. I have started to think that I was halucinating.

I believe this pattern is real and its there. I am going to speculate on this: What I say is purely speculation so don't take it very seriously.

I believe in the new Google Dance Flux model, Fresbot refreshes important pages every now and then. But every week there is some kind of an update that I believe is an update of Relevancy rather than PR update. When this update starts we see changes in SERPS and the changes fluctuate among Data Centers. The interesting part is when this update starts the fresh pages from the Latest FreshBot disappear and the oldest DEEP CRAWL index appears on all datacenters. This can be validated by checking head tags or number of pages listed for a site during this 3-4 day update. Then when the SERPS start to settle down the index updtaes to the latest FreshBot visit and the new fresh pages appear. I believe the purpose of this switch back and forth is some kind of a strategy to save processing power. The update should be taking alot of processing power and thats why all the datacenters switches back to the old index (latest Deep Crawl). I also saw this update starts every Friday and ends around Tuesday.

Any more speculations?