1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Old Domain vs. New Domain

I am interested in buying a domain name from someone who has owned it since it was registered in 1994. It is a very good domain name and I will probably go upwards of $10,000 to $15,000 USD for it.

I'm interested to know what you guys think about how much the age of a domain name affects it's SEO. I know older domain names are liked more by search engines, but how big a factor is that?

A little more on this domain:
    - Currently, this domain name is being forwarded to another domain name and as far as I know there has never been an actual web site on the domain I want.
    - There are no pages indexed by google on the domain I want.

So what do you guys think? Regardless of the price I'm willing to pay, what is this domain's SEO potential based solely on it's age of 16 years?
  3. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by Mr Mojo Risin
    I am interested in buying a domain name from someone who has owned it since it was registered in 1994. It is a very good domain name and I will probably go upwards of $10,000 to $15,000 USD for it.

I'm interested to know what you guys think about how much the age of a domain name affects it's SEO. I know older domain names are liked more by search engines, but how big a factor is that?

A little more on this domain:
    - Currently, this domain name is being forwarded to another domain name and as far as I know there has never been an actual web site on the domain I want.
    - There are no pages indexed by google on the domain I want.

So what do you guys think? Regardless of the price I'm willing to pay, what is this domain's SEO potential based solely on it's age of 16 years?
    IMHO - if it's never had a website on it - it's no better than buying a brand new domain name (just a lot more expensive)
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

How "good"? If it is KW.com and you like that market then... buy it immediately.

If you don't want it then send me a PM, I might be interested.
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Can you please post the URL please by the way age is a factor in rankings but its not the age which determines the rankings alone, before buying the domain make sure to take a look at how many links it already has what is its PR and if it has any high rankings or not.

Akash
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by EGOL
    How "good"? If it is KW.com and you like that market then... buy it immediately.

If you don't want it then send me a PM, I might be interested.
    Will You really, EGOL?
    My understanding is that an old domain name that has never had a site on is the same as a new one.

I know it use to make a difference, but I thought that was a thing of the past.

raz
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  11. SEO Elite
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

a domain of subject.com even with no index in se's could be very valuable, especially for type in traffic. Many people looking for something on a subject will type in subject.com , and also subject.com could rise quickly in the rankings because any backlink saying just the domain name has the keyword in that link. Alot of natural links are used with anchor text url.com

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : EXACTLY!
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If the site has never been indexed and basically doesn't have a history it would be like starting on a brand new site.

I would only buy it if it had a good amout of existing traffic or if it was a generic word or a very short domain.

Other than that you could spend 10,000 on marketing on a new domain.
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

I think you should consider 3 things:

1. If the domain is one that is basic such as the other members mentioned like simple.com or basic.com, then its more valuable than icantremberthatdomainname.com

2. Are you sure there has never been content on it? Check wayback.com to be sure. I say this because if it did and you intend on putting non-related content on it, the power of the aged domain name will be far less.

3. If the domain name isn't one that you can use in vertical advertising effectively, such as MyProduct.com or a niche that is related, or even an easily remembered name such as website.com, 10-15k seems like an excessive amount to pay.

I the site had contained relative content, or had a substantial traffic base, then I could see spending that much money for it.

Otherwise, buying an aged domain that could be related, or that is an easily remembered name would cost far less and would be just as beneficial.

A domain name that old is great for the engines, more specifically Google, but with no past content the weight it carries toward reliability or being a "trusted" site is nill.

GaryTheScubaGUy
  17. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

domain name

site not indexed (to my knowledge) is similar to new site although the domain name may play a significant role in making decision as if it is directly representing your business area, role,location....... If not $10000-15000 wld be enough to market a new site.