Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
    #1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    148
    Rep Power
    15

    Ok to use superlatives in Meta Tags? (Title, Description)


    Can you use superlatives in meta tags like the tittle / description tags? And will that affect your rankings?

    I suspect that google would frown upon a page loading with superlatives (best, cheapest .. est. er. etc.), however I've never hear or read anything on this..

    Research based observation and knowledge appreciated, however your 2cents are welcomed also..
  2. #2
  3. Customized?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    1,079
    Rep Power
    25
    You can even use supersuperlatives... because Google does not car about meta title and meta description. No benefit, no harm, do what you want... its a waste of time
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,208
    Rep Power
    255
    I remember a post not too long back from one of the forums top rated posters and he advised the use of such words in the title tag.

    "WOW" - "AMAZING" - "CHEAP" - "BEST" - "FANTASTIC" are all eye catching words that could draw attention.

    But dont over do it.
  6. #4
  7. Smoke me a kipper...
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    2,472
    Rep Power
    78
    Originally Posted by Glenn Kilpatric
    I remember a post not too long back from one of the forums top rated posters and he advised the use of such words in the title tag.
    I believe you're thinking of this thread by EGOL?
    ... I'll be back for breakfast
    New to SEO? SEOChat SEO FAQs
    Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines
    URL canonicalization code solutions
    Vigorously pursuing the floccinaucinihilipilification of cheap SEO tricks
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,208
    Rep Power
    255
    Originally Posted by JagNet
    I believe you're thinking of this thread by EGOL?
    That's the one. If Id have passed that off as my own idea I could have become one of the SEO elite with a huge power boost to ......... errrrr.... maybe a 3 .

    Ive tried it on a few of my pages. Seems to work, although Im not selling stuff just trying to make people look at the stuff on my site
    Last edited by Glenn Kilpatric; Jan 14th, 2008 at 11:46 AM.
  10. #6
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    12
    Originally Posted by -mj-
    You can even use supersuperlatives... because Google does not car about meta title and meta description. No benefit, no harm, do what you want... its a waste of time
    ha ha ha don tell me anyone this guy has 821 posts why don you say SEO itself is a waste of time jst stop it ok
  12. #7
  13. Customized?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    1,079
    Rep Power
    25
    Originally Posted by kevinhall
    ha ha ha don tell me anyone this guy has 821 posts why don you say SEO itself is a waste of time jst stop it ok
    Thats because I found here a hidden forum where you can spam as hell and get posts on your conter. Sometimes when you post something funny people will give you tons of rep...
    Sorry mate, you are right. The meta title and meta description is very very useful and will give you a boost from around 100 positions. Actually it is essential... I think thats what fathom always says "meta description is essential".
  14. #8
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kolkata, INDIA!!
    Posts
    2,376
    Rep Power
    171
    Mj, I think kevinhall is considering meta title and title as same thing.
  16. #9
  17. Customized?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    1,079
    Rep Power
    25
    In this case should first inform himself about these core issues before he opens his mouth too much.
    KevinHall if you dont know that meta title and the <title> element are 2 different things go back to school and learn again before laughing around <snip>
    Last edited by pro_seo; Jan 16th, 2008 at 05:29 AM. Reason: removed inflammatory words
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    12
    Originally Posted by -mj-
    Thats because I found here a hidden forum where you can spam as hell and get posts on your conter. Sometimes when you post something funny people will give you tons of rep...
    Sorry mate, you are right. The meta title and meta description is very very useful and will give you a boost from around 100 positions. Actually it is essential... I think thats what fathom always says "meta description is essential".
    BUt MJ seriously Budapest overall beauty u know really awesome u r a budaopest product ya doon worry its not yur fault seeing that serious beauties on yur site can wowwwwww nice work mj gud collection
  20. #11
  21. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Kolkata, INDIA!!
    Posts
    2,376
    Rep Power
    171
    Well kevinhall, I think you misunderstood what MJ was saying. He was saying Meta Title is useless in SERP and he is right. But you might consider that as Title. Both are different mate.
    And at the end,one request to you,stop personal attacks.
    Many times in this forum some one not agreed with others,but mate try to put your thoughts in right way.
    No personal attack please.
  22. #12
  23. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I N D I A
    Posts
    4,141
    Rep Power
    1028
    Originally Posted by MindNsoul
    Can you use superlatives in meta tags like the tittle / description tags? And will that affect your rankings?

    I suspect that google would frown upon a page loading with superlatives (best, cheapest .. est. er. etc.), however I've never hear or read anything on this..

    Research based observation and knowledge appreciated, however your 2cents are welcomed also..
    Hold on guys!!

    I guess the problem started from here. This post is titled as "Ok to use superlatives in Meta Tags (title, description)

    Amateurs generally include the <title> element within the definition of Meta tags [which is of course wrong]

    However, there is indeed a Meta Title tag which goes like <Meta Name="title" content="blah blah blah"> This tag is useless as far as ranks are concerned.

    MJ thought that the OP was indeed talking about the Meta Title tag, which he wasn't, he was just referring to the title element and the Meta description of a page.

    Kevin, take it easy man! It was just a mis-communication between you two and I find absolutely no reason to take that personally and flame each other for that.

    Stay on topic and help the community.

    Thanks!

    Comments on this post

    • Spaggie agrees : Seconds out, round 2

    SEO FAQs - You might find your answer here.
    SEOchat Forum Rules - Read Before You Post
  24. #13
  25. Customized?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    1,079
    Rep Power
    25
    Originally Posted by MindNsoul
    meta tags like the tittle / description tags
    For me this is meta title and meta description. He might have expressed himself wrong but OK. Nevermind.
    <meta title="lala"> and <meta description="blabla"> are not relevant to the ranking in the SERPs.
    The <title> tag "<title>This is the title</title> therefore is very important.

    Originally Posted by KevinHall
    BUt MJ seriously Budapest overall beauty u know really awesome u r a budaopest product ya doon worry its not yur fault seeing that serious beauties on yur site can wowwwwww nice work mj gud collection
    Like I said in a thread before (trampoline / news site promotion, remember?) I dont understand your Brooklyn slang mate... Or maybe I just dont want to.
    If that was a compliment, thanks.
  26. #14
  27. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    72
    Rep Power
    12
    [QUOTE=-mj-]For me this is meta title and meta description. He might have expressed himself wrong but OK. Nevermind.
    <meta title="lala"> and <meta description="blabla"> are not relevant to the ranking in the SERPs.
    The <title> tag "<title>This is the title</title> therefore is very important.

    Ok chill it for u jst one thing i on my basis is talking abt <Title> & <meta name="description" content="ha ha hah" got it which i found is seriously important any dude if sm1 got a subscription of searchenginenews.com jst have a look at this months issue that how important they are, now have i cleared myself and if words gone bad than srry but i on my basis is correct now Mr. MJ ur happy
  28. #15
  29. Customized?
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Budapest
    Posts
    1,079
    Rep Power
    25
    Mr. MJ is happy!

    Originally Posted by kevinhall
    <Title>
    I agree

    Originally Posted by kevinhall
    <meta name="description" content="ha ha hah" got it which i found is seriously important
    I leave that one for fathom

    Cheers.

    Comments on this post

    • seomonkeymanocp agrees : bring the pain fathom :)
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:

Similar Threads

  1. Meta Description Tag “Don’t SEO without it!”
    By evmikna in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: Mar 7th, 2007, 01:10 PM
  2. Description
    By shilpy3 in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jun 17th, 2006, 12:31 AM
  3. stupid newbie question about titles & meta tags
    By ktyson in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug 25th, 2005, 11:56 AM
  4. Meta Tags
    By raz in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Jul 15th, 2004, 08:01 AM
  5. Title and Description Tags
    By cityneil in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 7th, 2003, 10:04 AM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo