1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Ok, I searched everywhere for DoFollow

Does anyone have a strong opinion on whether to make your own blog a dofollow? My wordpress site I was thinking about it to draw traffic and comments, but I have heard mixed reviews about whether to do so. I know I know I should have searched this site, but all of the dofollow articles I saw were opinions on whether to post in them for backlinks. Thanks in advance.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Just my 2 cents. If you let your blog become do follow you are going to getted spammed. There are alot of people out there that still think a blog comment is a great backlink. There are people you can hire for pennies to post comments on others blogs. So watch out.

I don't get why it's so important for bloggers to get comments. If you content is great to begin with, you will get lots of readers, and lots of backlinks. If you are banking on other peoples comments to improve your content, then you have a HUGE issue with your content.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : This is exactly correct.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If you are banking on other peoples comments to improve your content, then you have a HUGE issue with your content.
    Strongly disagree with that. You may have the best content on the web, but unless people have a way to find out about it - your blog will be dead and no single soul will visit it. You have to promote your blog before you can hope to get a readership.

I don't get why it's so important for bloggers to get comments.
    Because it creates an impression of blog being popular and alive, enticing new readers to leave comments and thus engage in discussion, backlinking to you naturally, giving feedback and helping you to determine future blog post topics!
    Can one ask for more?!

Stallan54, I have dofollow on my blog and have no problems with spam at all. Installing Askimet plugin on WP blog saves you from 95% of all spam. Requiring users to register before leaving comments - gives you 100% spam-protection (however, I don't recommend this feature for new blogs).

My opinion - by all means go for that! I am a big supporter of dofollow blogs and believe it can make your blog promotion campaign much quicker and easier.

<snip>
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jul 9th, 2009 at 08:37 AM. Reason: removed self-promo & link
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by Seolight
    Strongly disagree with that. You may have the best content on the web, but unless people have a way to find out about it - your blog will be dead and no single soul will visit it. You have to promote your blog before you can hope to get a readership.

Because it creates an impression of blog being popular and alive, enticing new readers to leave comments and thus engage in discussion, backlinking to you naturally, giving feedback and helping you to determine future blog post topics!
    Can one ask for more?!

Stallan54, I have dofollow on my blog and have no problems with spam at all. Installing Askimet plugin on WP blog saves you from 95% of all spam. Requiring users to register before leaving comments - gives you 100% spam-protection (however, I don't recommend this feature for new blogs).

My opinion - by all means go for that! I am a big supporter of dofollow blogs and believe it can make your blog promotion campaign much quicker and easier.

<snip>

Sorry friend, leaving comments on a blog with a link to your site doesn't really do a whole lot for you as far as ranking better in Google. Same for links in forums. These studies have been done by people here, you may want to look it up.

You are better off spending time getting one good link than twice the time getting 100 blog comment links.

If you are looking for a conversation on your blog, then use a forum, not a blog.
    Last edited by ClickyB; Jul 9th, 2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: removed link from quote
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Where are those studies, because I cannot find them.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by stallan54
    Where are those studies, because I cannot find them.
    Use the search function in this forum and you will find a lot of info about both these topics. Here is the last test.

http://forums.seochat.com/seo-test-and-experimentation-81/value-of-forum-backlinks-test-version-2t-232117.html?pp=15
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

leaving comments on a blog with a link to your site doesn't really do a whole lot for you
    I disagree with that. My experience shows directly opposite results, comments at dofollow blogs are indeed effective for rankings.

btw, the link you quoted discusses forum sig links, not blog posts.
    Last edited by Seolight; May 26th, 2009 at 02:30 PM.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I disagree with that. My experience shows directly opposite results, comments at dofollow blogs are indeed effective for rankings.

btw, the link you quoted discusses forum sig links, not blog posts.
    Yes, that's because we were talking about both forums and blog posts.

Here is one related to blogs.
    http://forums.seochat.com/yahoo-search-optimization-60/ip-240014.html

Again, use the search function on this site and look them up your self.
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

What is the point in trying to attract comments for the sake of comments? What you want is active discussion among your readers. Are your readers Internet Marketers? If so then spreading a little love by allowing keyword rich comments might not be a bad idea. If however your blog is far away from people who know what dofollow is and means just opening up your blog by making it dofollow will attract the wrong kind of traffic.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That post your quoted says:

Blogs and Forums tend to be the worst (closely followed by small "ffa" directories) because:
    1. They commonly contain tons of outbound links.
    2. They are commonly "nofollow" links.
    Solution:
    1. Comment on posts with sensible number of links
    2. Comment on dofollow blogs.

I'll stay with what I said: commenting on dofollow topically-related blogs is as effective as links from any other type of websites. In addition, it also has an advantage - it's easier and quicker to get.

I am sure you are able to draw conclusions yourself.
    Last edited by Seolight; May 26th, 2009 at 07:40 PM.
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

That post your quoted says:

Solution:
    1. Comment on posts with sensible number of links
    2. Comment on dofollow blogs.

I'll stay with what I said: commenting on dofollow topically-related blogs is as effective as links from any other type of websites. In addition, it also has an advantage - it's easier and quicker to get.

I am sure you are able to draw conclusions yourself.

Way to actually search and read other examples... way to read all the post on that thread, which generally says it's not that great to post on blogs. You do whatever you want as far as SEO, I don't care.