Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

Number Of Pages On A Website Important?

Hello, I read somewhere that the more pages your website has the higher the potential pagerank? Is that true.

I have a website I created that is all just articles on my respective niche, I made it because it was hard to find quality links for my product website. Currently the home page is pr2, and some of the deeper category pages also have pr2.

Its only about 60 or so pages at the moment, I've been adding new content pretty infrequently. So my question is if I aim to add two articles a day and increase the pages from 60 to 150+ would that increase the pr of the homepage? or just no.. and I should just try and build links for it.. which has proved to be hard.

Thanks.
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by DarrenHaye
    Hello, I read somewhere that the more pages your website has the higher the potential pagerank? Is that true.

I have a website I created that is all just articles on my respective niche, I made it because it was hard to find quality links for my product website. Currently the home page is pr2, and some of the deeper category pages also have pr2.

Its only about 60 or so pages at the moment, I've been adding new content pretty infrequently. So my question is if I aim to add two articles a day and increase the pages from 60 to 150+ would that increase the pr of the homepage? or just no.. and I should just try and build links for it.. which has proved to be hard.

Thanks.
    the number of pages on a website has zero bearing on PR. The only way to increase your PR is with inbound links.

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees
    • ElectricPrez agrees : Yes.
    • EGOL agrees
  5. No Profile Picture
    EGOL

Actually, adding lots of pages to your site will make it harder to raise the pagerank of your homepage.... because every page on your site will hold a little pagerank... the more pages you have the more that they will soak up.

Comments on this post

• SEO_AM agrees : Yup. Went from a PR6 to a PR5 by adding about 3,500 pages. Good thing is that all those page bring Adsense revenue. :)
    • KernelPanic agrees
    • ElectricPrez agrees : As if you need the rep.. but.. here you go anyways <3
    * "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters, it's the size of the fight in the dog." Mark Twain
    * "Free advice isn't worth much. Cheap advice is worth even less." EGOL
  7. No Profile Picture
    -

Originally Posted by EGOL
    Actually, adding lots of pages to your site will make it harder to raise the pagerank of your homepage.... because every page on your site will hold a little pagerank... the more pages you have the more that they will soak up.
    Thanks, it was because I had read this

webworkshop.net/pagerank.html

seems to contain some miss-information, or maybe its just outdated.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

I don't think so that number of webpages on a website does really help in page rank. Page rank is totally based on your inbound links and quality content.
  11. learn from lurking

Adding more pages means more time for bots to crawl and process. So if the page is not really needed, its better not to create one..
  13. No Profile Picture
    The Dog Guy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

they say that having a lot of content is important. but its not just about PR of the homepage.

if you dont add content regularly, the google fairy bot wont visit as often and wont consider you popular. There maybe something in its special secret sauce that increases the ranking of your site if it has more regular content and google chooses to visit more often (because it sees your site as an evolving up to date site rather than a dead spam site).

Also more content means more visitors from long tail keywords, which most likely will convert to people clicking the home button on your page and making it more popular (particularly if google analytics shows google how well you are doing).
  15. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

who said it buddy its false back links only generate page ranks it will never depend on page numbers
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    the number of pages on a website has zero bearing on PR.
    the number of internal pages and their links can have a bearing on individual pages though, including the homepage.

There's a good write up here..
    http://www.webworkshop.net/pagerank.html

EDIT: sorry, i just realised this had already been discussed. But yes it is possible to maniupate internal pagerank of all pages (including the homepage) by clever internal linking.. although most of the time its not worth bothering to try and work it out.

Suprised some of you werent aware of this
    Last edited by freeflyer; Aug 8th, 2011 at 12:04 PM.
  19. No Profile Picture
    Banned

its not a good idea that you some more pages beyond your need.Sometimes natural content is the best
  21. No Profile Picture
    -

Originally Posted by freeflyer
    But yes it is possible to maniupate internal pagerank of all pages (including the homepage) by clever internal linking.. although most of the time its not worth bothering to try and work it out.
    Do you think it would be worth my time even trying? or would my time be better spent link building.
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

generally , no. The natural structure of your site tends to lean itself to the most important pages anyway.
  25. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Page Rank not depend upon number of pages .I have seen some web site with 5-6 pr with some pages and some websites with 1-2 pr with more then enough pages .Then it has been proved that number of pages never effect on page rank.
  27. Digital Marketing

doublepost my bad
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Aug 10th, 2011 at 07:25 PM.
  29. Digital Marketing

Originally Posted by freeflyer
    the number of internal pages and their links can have a bearing on individual pages though, including the homepage.

There's a good write up here..
    http://www.webworkshop.net/pagerank.html

EDIT: sorry, i just realised this had already been discussed. But yes it is possible to maniupate internal pagerank of all pages (including the homepage) by clever internal linking.. although most of the time its not worth bothering to try and work it out.

Suprised some of you werent aware of this
    Man I miss Keiros, anytime my brain started to bleed from trying to work out the math in Google Pagerank he would come along and 'splain it nice and simple:

http://forums.seochat.com/showpost.php?p=654614&postcount=7

So if you follow the above, every page on the internet has at least a PR of 0.0000000000666666 are you saying THAT is the PR that you can pass through navigation? And are you saying that even with the damping factor of 0.85 that you can noticeably increase PR? That's crackhead crazy dude. lol.

Please show me where I am wrong.
    Last edited by KernelPanic; Aug 10th, 2011 at 07:27 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: