1. No Profile Picture
    DAG
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Number of indexed pages fell

I have a site that's about a month old, and I haven't even begun building links to it...just one link from a social media site to the main page.

I had about 200 pages indexed a couple days ago, and today I check and it's down to 14 for site:domain.com and 74 for site:www.domain.com

Why would this be happening? Nothing changed about the content, no links were added, it's the same site it was back when 200 pages were indexed.
  3. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Different DC will do that... could also be that since you have very low link juice, the pages are bieing moved to the suplemental results... usually what happens when one makes a site too big too quick without having the link juice to support the pages.
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...
  5. Contributing User

You are witnessing Google's "chained" scoring algorithm. New pages are immediatey added to the index, and then queued up to be scored. The scoring mechanism is done over hundreds of differnent computers. As this process continues, your individual scores for these webpages are reduced.

The problem with relying on Search Results for indications of your work is that you have no idea what timeframe you are in with regards to the scoring process. If you want some tools to get around this, PM me and I can give you a list.

Originally Posted by DAG
    I have a site that's about a month old, and I haven't even begun building links to it...just one link from a social media site to the main page.

I had about 200 pages indexed a couple days ago, and today I check and it's down to 14 for site:domain.com and 74 for site:www.domain.com

Why would this be happening? Nothing changed about the content, no links were added, it's the same site it was back when 200 pages were indexed.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by brandy72
    You are witnessing Google's "chained" scoring algorithm. New pages are immediatey added to the index, and then queued up to be scored. The scoring mechanism is done over hundreds of differnent computers. As this process continues, your individual scores for these webpages are reduced.

The problem with relying on Search Results for indications of your work is that you have no idea what timeframe you are in with regards to the scoring process. If you want some tools to get around this, PM me and I can give you a list.
    She's right... all this stuff moves in slow motion for the most part. Monitor your site's keywords and you'll start to see how it all evolves...
  9. No Profile Picture
    DAG
    Contributing User

Well it went back up, so I'm not sure what conclusion to draw from that...