1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Now the question is...

One of my domains is for a keyword term that includes 'jewellery'. It sells a particular type of jewellery. It contains jewellery in the domain name. According to Google because it is only about the subject that I get the most traffic for it's now irrelevant.

So... how to get around this? The only way I can think of is to make the majority of references to the term 'jewellery' graphical. The term is certainly on the hit list and all the sites replacing my top10's have very low instances of the term and/or they are not commerce sites (or not that Google can see - a couple of flash only shopping sites with little or no shopping terms/references in the HTML are doing well too) - for the most part it's either only in the title/metas or sometimes not on the page at all.

Good grief though. I hate completely graphical/flash pages. Not only do they usually take longer to load they will also be ignored by most other SE's simply because nearly all references to the main keyword term will be removed. Just enough left not to go too high and fall off that Google cliff.

Of course the other option is to do 'info' sites targetting (but not overly) the main keyword term with no shopping or 'buy now' buttons and link them heavily to the commerce site, which in theory should work but requires a lot of work building and then getting new inbound links in. I'm not still convinced as to the permanence of the recent changes and am reluctant to spend all that time if it does change back.

Any other suggestions for getting around this if Google has decided to penalise the term your site is solely about? I'm really reluctant to go the graphical or flash route for reasons mentioned. I know it's been said but what a daft situation - being penalised because your site IS relevant.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Of course the other option is to do 'info' sites targetting (but not overly) the main keyword term with no shopping or 'buy now' buttons and link them heavily to the commerce site, which in theory should work
    I've got lots of unreciprocated links from info sites linking to one of my info sites (a site which is considered an "authority" by a number of PR5 and above sites) and my info site still got hammered.

I know people want to believe that this is about ecommerce sites, but content sites got slammed as well -- and their previously held #1 slots are now taken over by ecomm sites.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Originally posted by RubberChicken
    I've got lots of unreciprocated links from info sites linking to one of my info sites (a site which is considered an "authority" by a number of PR5 and above sites) and my info site still got hammered.

I know people want to believe that this is about ecommerce sites, but content sites got slammed as well -- and their previously held #1 slots are now taken over by ecomm sites.
    Undoubtably. I have quite a few non-commerce sites that got hit very hard. But then I've quite a few that didn't too, that's where the dictionary part comes in I think. However, it seems that my commerce sites got hit hardest (ie the all got hit in one way or another) although the optimization used is fairly similar across all of my sites. As has been said before it's a combination of many elements that can or do 'trigger' the filter.

Interestingly enough two very similar sites of mine (both not e-commerce) using the same script, same techniques, very similar (although not identical) 4 mill+ results keywords, that attract high bids with the same sort of traffic and backlink/anchor text got treated very differently. One is still No2 and the other vanished off the face of the earth for it's main term. The only difference I can see is one has text inside waffling on about buying, buy and shopping for an affiliate thing I promote, the other doesn't. That would explain my e-commerce (and other peoples) sites being hit harder in that google may be looking for certain shopping related keywords/e-commerce terms as part of the filtering process. Also re-inforced by the fact that top10 for my jewellery term has sites not featuring buy, buy now etc in the html. Again - not the whole answer but certainly seems to be part of it.

It still makes life difficult at best though. It's very hard to de-optimize a site for a subject without making it look crap if your site is only about that subject

Oh well.
    Last edited by Tipsy; Dec 1st, 2003 at 11:32 AM.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

It's very hard to de-optimize a site for a subject without making it look crap if your site is only about that subject
    Ain't that the truth. I feel like a complete dolt in one of my re-optimizing efforts because I'm trying to come up with clever ways to say "history of blue widgets" without saying "blue widgets".

It's tempting to create a site on "green thingamajigs" just to get my "blue widgets" traffic back. ;)