1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

'nother Newbie, question about PR? am I penalized?

First let me thank you for reading my post and also thanks for such a great resource. I've been keeping pages in Google now with a pretty good rank for 3 years or so. We have about 140,000 static pages out there, all of these individual pages are back linked to (list style) indexes in alpha order and size is kept 100k or less on these indexes. Now the end static page is ranking very poorly. From our home index our rank at this time is 4, the list of indexes are linked directly off the index page and all the index pages have a rank of 2, the individual catalog pages that are linked off of this have a rank of 0/10 however they do appear in the Google cache. Like I say I am a newbie but it looks like 4 > 2 >0, so I wonder if it's penalty or if I get the original rank to 6, then it might relate to 6 > 3 > 1 ???

Well thanks again, sorry if I was long winded. I know I'll be a regular, I am a newbie but do have some experience with Google.

Scott
  3. unused title
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

No, definately not banned.... trust me you will know when you are...........

The page that most links go to (usually your homepage) will rank better than pages below it.

Here is what I mean.

My Homepage of one of my sites is PR 5
    My secondary pages (that are linked to from my homepage) rank at a PR 4.
    And my deeper pages (that are linked to from my secondary pages) are at a PR 3.

PR5 > PR4 > PR3

This is normal.

It all depends on your link strategy and how your site is structured.

Often a new site is given PR on the homepage and secondary pages, and as your PR grows, your deeper pages will begin to be crawled and Ranked also.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you, and I was just noticing in the (page rank) category of the forum that another poster had written that when a specific page has outbound links then that pages rank was divided up and passed on to the deeper pages, this may be why my deeper pages have a lousy rank 0/10 but *are* seen in Googles cache. The index pages I use to link the catalog pages have over 500 links on each page, so possibly the rank is being decreased because of so may links...

I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules, but here is a link to one of the index pages, you can see what I mean...

http://www.atlantalightbulbs.com/eca...catsylv-1.html

And thank you for answering my first post... Scott
  7. unused title

id be trying to break them up into more categories......
    that many links out of a page will definately dilute the PR flow from that page.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you, yes I think that is most of my problem with secondary pages. funny thing is that before the last update we were popping up great in the Google results, now we are buried.

One question, I can break down our categorys several ways and have more indexs to the same catalog page... I wonder if this might help the ranking? Guess the only sure way to know is to try ..

Thanks for your help, Scott.g
  11. unused title

Sure, the more links you have to a page, the more chance it has of being spidered.