Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page:
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Not in sandbox...but not appearing in the search results for my keywords!

Hello all,

I hope I can get some pointers on this. It's a bit strange.

My recruitment website http://www.staff.ie has been up and running for about a year or so.

I don't use any ...dodgy... seo tricks - I try to keep the site clean (valid HTML) and it is frequently updated. It is a no nonsense, quality, recruitment website.

My main page has a PR3 and the majority of my other pages a PR4.

But... for some reason when I search for "jobs" in www.google.ie my website is totally ignored. Lower PR sites are displayed. The same sites (other pages within the same site) are displayed. Nonsense, non-job related sites are displayed.

Why is this happening?

My website is honest, reasonably SEO friendly website, but it is being ignored.

It is not sandboxed.

Any ideas???

Thank you

Extra notes: my server is in Ireland. There are no dodgy websites on my server. I am not a spammer.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I would just like to add that my Yahoo rankings are OK. This is a Google specific problem.
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

That is a hugely competitive terms wit a ton of well optimized sites competing. Your site is not that old, and the sample of backlinks I looked at were all from valueless or near valueless sources (forums, blogs, scrapers, bog link pages, etc.) I think you are underestimating the level of off page optimization needed to rank for "jobs". Either that or many of the 600+ backlinks you've got that i DIDN'T look at are from pretty relevant, trusted sites. Because the ones I saw were not, and 600+ low quality links won't get you top rankings for that term in Google.

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

OK. I agree I could use more links.

BUT... when I look through the Google search results, there is all kinds of nonsense being displayed. Totally not job related. PR0 pages. Lots of rubbish.

Are they really more "valuable" than my website?

Edit: on www.google.ie it's not THAT competitive. There are not that many job websites in Ireland.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by SEOmakesmehot
    OK. I agree I could use more links.

BUT... when I look through the Google search results, there is all kinds of nonsense being displayed. Totally not job related. PR0 pages. Lots of rubbish.

Are they really more "valuable" than my website?

Edit: on www.google.ie it's not THAT competitive. There are not that many job websites in Ireland.
    What "nonsense" sites are you referring to? My quick glance on google.ie still showed PR5 and PR6 sites. I don't have time to click on all of them, but point out the ones you're referring to and I'll have a look.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

I am talking about on the later pages... all the way up until "no more results".

I am fully aware that I am no where near page 1 or 2... but I should at least appear before http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/dws/s...ews/27556.html (page 14) or http://www.veritas.ie/veritas/asp/section.asp?s=144 (page 15).

There are lots of examples like the above.

Surely I should be appearing before that kind of stuff??

(PS thank you for your help)
  13. No Profile Picture

I have the same problem. My website is given on the first result page by MSN and Yahoo. Sometimes my site is #1 in MSN. In Google I'm not by the first 7000 results! I know that I have not many backlinks but is Google that different from MSN or Yahoo?

Johannes
  15. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

1) Google values backlinks a lot; especially quality, one-way backlinks from authority relevant sites.

2) "Jobs" alone is a very competitive keyword

3) The PR you see is now 3 months old... so it may not reflect the present reality.
    Epureanu Bogdan On-line - my personal website
    Total IT Professional - my company website
    Midnight's angel - a website where i help people
  17. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

For an ireland only search I get 2.4 million results for "jobs".
    This isn't too competative but its not too easy either.

I do think that you have too many irrelevant links and they are diluting the strenght of your other links. Get relevant links only. 10 good ones would be better than 1000 non relevant links.

Also, I notice there is no indexable text (only anchor text) on your home page. You shoudl at least include some paragraph text that has all of the keywords in your meta description and keyword tags.
    It has been said that google may place a penalty on you if you have keywords in your meta data that don't appear in your content. As you have no content this might be true!

You some content that has your keywords mentioned a few times and near the top of the page.

Also, add a sitemap if possible.

Don't pay much attention to PR. The fact that PR0 sites appear above yours shoudl tell you that it doesn't realy make much difference!
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thank you for your messages.

I don't really buy your explanations though (no offence!)

Some of the websites appearing in the rankings, as stated, are pointless, unrelated, no-one-linking-to-them pages.

On my main page, "Jobs" appears 5 times.

So my main page should appear SOMEWHERE in the listings... even in last place!

Also, I don't believe the Google system is stupid enough to not understand my website is about jobs considering it is indexing all the pages throughout my website.

So I think the explanation is either -

The Google search system is a bit dumb and is missing many things
    or
    SEO has just totally screwed up Google.

It kind of depresses me actually. The idea that I have to change a nice clean design on a nice, reliable website just to APPEAR in the rankings, somewhere, mixed in with mostly unrelated websites, seems so wrong.

Really, there is something very wrong with the current system if no one can find a proper website.

(Sorry for the rant, I just find it sad.)
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

OK, I've been doing alot of thinking about this.

Do you think, as a compromise, if I made this page -

http://www.staff.ie/jobs.html

- my index page instead, I'd be having a lot more success?

I know there is a lot of information on the page, but I'm happy enough showing my visitors the jobs immediately rather than them having to do a search. And of course, Google must prefer this page...

Any opinions???
  23. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I'd agree with the others on the need for some text/improved links, but a bunch of your indexed pages are Url only, and when I looked at them they all had a "Sorry, that job no longer exist. To view all jobs, click here" message, IMO these should be giving a 404 rather than the 302 they presently do.

Another thing is you seem to specify text colour as ffffff while also using it as a bgcolor in some tables, this might be giving the wrong impression....
  25. Permanently Banned
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by SEOmakesmehot
    It is not sandboxed.
    Why not? It sounds like it is to me if your site doesn't appear at all for competitive terms.
  27. Around...The
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Google is for 90% about backlinks, IMO there is no need to change your main page, just get quality, relevant backlinks.

The first 30 or so sites are well optimized and will take some real backlink building + time to be a part of those sites.

As for the other results, they are subpages from domains with lots of links and therefore any page that resembles a job related topic, will rank before any website with hardly any links. Google ranks pages of any domain by looking at the quality of the domain itself as well and if the domain has lots of links pointing to it, it will only take a good title tag for that page to appear in the rankings. That is just the way Google works and if you think about it, it makes sense as well...

Point being: leave site/layout alone and focuse on link building, that is how Google works for competitive keywords...

Comments on this post

• totalit#051 agrees : Yeah... go on and build some links...
  29. No Profile Picture

hi,

I saw that your site is pretty new as compared to your competitors...my experience is google place heavy emphasis in site age.

just a thought,
    Last edited by brandall; Feb 6th, 2006 at 07:31 PM. Reason: removed fake sig
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Jump to page: