1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Not Ranked in Google; Ranked Very Highly in Bing

Hello everyone,

I just want to start off by saying that I love this forum. I have a new question: I just checked today and I currently ranking around 30 on Bing (it moves around a bit) for a pretty nice, longtail keyword. Now, we all know Bing gets only a fraction of the traffic Google gets, so ranking on Bing is not as big of a deal. But my understanding was that, even though they are distinct, that things that optimize for one search engine should work for another. And, whereas I'm in the top 100 on Bing, I'm not in the top 1000 on Google (so I can't even see where I'm ranking). Does anyone know why there would be such a dramatic difference, and if there's anything I can do to change it?

Thanks,

Mike
  3. Philip@SearchBenefit.com
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Bing is slower; Google is harder to rank in. The two algorhithms are similar. In both, rankings are based largely on external links and to a lesser degree on "onsite factors." According to SEOmoz, which has done some studies comparing rankings in Google and Bing, Big's algo is a lot like Google's old algo, which was based largely on PageRank, which mainly considered how many links you had and what their PR was. Google's algo is still very much like that, but it works in more subtle ways, considering lots of other factors (including the mysterious ad hypothetical "trust" that lots of people talk about but no has successfully quantified).

That said, Google crawls the web much, much more slowly than Google. Everything that Bing sees (meaning your links) Google can be assumed to see too. So if you rank higher in Bing, this could mean that (a) Google is not as convinced as Bing that your links are good; or (b) Bing has not yet found your competition's links, while Google has.

That said, ranking 30 or 100 makes no difference and could just be, well, random. Moreover, a small sneeze of a link (or any other ranking factor) can move you from 100 to 30 in either search engine for a search term that is not competitive. And another "sneeze" can change the picture dramatically for no obvious reason. It's not till you get up to page 1 that you really begin to see patterns.

At this stage you should simply assume that you are not ranked at all for the keyword in question in either search engine. Just keep up the work!
  5. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    I think Bing still gives more credence to on page than Google. Both rankings are backlink dominant with Google looking more on the elusive 'trust' factor with a larger focus on relevance than Bing. Bing, through time, currently appears that they will look more towards individual prior search analyses to drive their algos. Bottomline will be that search results will continue to improve.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  7. No Profile Picture
    -
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

From what I see in Bing they give wayyyy to much weight too KIDs.
    I am always ready to learn although I do not always like being taught. ~Winston Churchill
  9. No Profile Picture
    The Dog Guy
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

yes bing is like the old yahoo algorithm too. any site can rank in the lower search engines but google uses very advanced techniques to rank sites and makes it harder to advance up the ladder.

they also give higher value to the age of the site etc. You really have to have quality links for google to like you, while yahoo may just about put credence on link number rather than quality.

Like you say, crack google and you are on easy street ...
  11. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

google search algorith is so perfectly done that nothing can surpassed as of this moment. that makes the reason eating almost the whole pie of users online.