#1
  1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    14

    Not appearing for domain name search


    Hi all, i have a site which is now 4 weeks old and usually within about 10 days of going live i can do a search for my domain without the 'www' and '.co.uk' for example 'this is my domain' and for every other site i have built i will appear on page 1 or 2 regardless of the quality of the site and backlinks. Google will put me up there then i'll have to do some work to keep it there/move it up. However this time round after 4 weeks my site does not appear in the top 100 pages. I do however appear for other keywords relative to my site. If i do a search for 'www.thisismydomain.co.uk' i do come up first so it's not an indexing issue at all. I do have 4 words in my domain will that be an issue?

    What else could it be, i have since added a few backlinks and still no joy!
  2. #2
  3. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,989
    Rep Power
    5749
    Ever read the book "Of Mice and Men?" In it Lennie loves to pet mice. He pets them and loves them and squeezes them and oops it's dead. A new SEO person enthusiastically working on a brand new website building links is a lot like Lennie.

    Be gentle, slowly nurture your website. Gain links only when you can do so with the appearance that the link was gained naturally. Too much love, adn your site will end up like Lennie's mouse

    Originally Posted by markhincks
    Hi all, i have a site which is now 4 weeks old and usually within about 10 days of going live i can do a search for my domain without the 'www' and '.co.uk' for example 'this is my domain' and for every other site i have built i will appear on page 1 or 2 regardless of the quality of the site and backlinks. Google will put me up there then i'll have to do some work to keep it there/move it up. However this time round after 4 weeks my site does not appear in the top 100 pages. I do however appear for other keywords relative to my site. If i do a search for 'www.thisismydomain.co.uk' i do come up first so it's not an indexing issue at all. I do have 4 words in my domain will that be an issue?

    What else could it be, i have since added a few backlinks and still no joy!
  4. #3
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    14
    I have read 'of mice and men' yes, however i haven't actually added any links until the last few days and i only have 4 now. My point is that with every other site i have built (over 50 ) in the last year every single one of them has appeared on page 1 or 2 without 1 backlink at all, within around 10 days of going live with the site. This is where my concern is, why is it that 1 out of 50+ has decided not to show up. My SEO rules are exactly the same for each of the 50+. I apply on page SEO effectively and have sites that are number 1 now for several search terms relative to their respective websites. I don't want to sound arrogant but i am not new to SEO at all and i know what i'm doing and what works however this recent example baffles me.
  6. #4
  7. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,989
    Rep Power
    5749
    Originally Posted by markhincks
    I have read 'of mice and men' yes, however i haven't actually added any links until the last few days and i only have 4 now. My point is that with every other site i have built (over 50 ) in the last year every single one of them has appeared on page 1 or 2 without 1 backlink at all, within around 10 days of going live with the site. This is where my concern is, why is it that 1 out of 50+ has decided not to show up. My SEO rules are exactly the same for each of the 50+. I apply on page SEO effectively and have sites that are number 1 now for several search terms relative to their respective websites. I don't want to sound arrogant but i am not new to SEO at all and i know what i'm doing and what works however this recent example baffles me.
    Please forgive me, I didn't intend to denegrate your SEO Sometimes I write answers based on 1000 other threads I see started. Probably need to watch that.

    So if you have gone 50 for 50 in getting your keywords to rank 1st page on Google within 10 days of new sites going live, you are better at this than me. I will step out of the conversation Good luck!
  8. #5
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    14
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    Please forgive me, I didn't intend to denegrate your SEO Sometimes I write answers based on 1000 other threads I see started. Probably need to watch that.

    So if you have gone 50 for 50 in getting your keywords to rank 1st page on Google within 10 days of new sites going live, you are better at this than me. I will step out of the conversation Good luck!
    No need to apologise i understand, as for the 50 for 50 on page one within the first 10 days - yes based upon the domain name e.g. if i have a site called 'www.brandnewhouses.co.uk' then do a search for 'brand new houses' within 10 days of launch i appear on page 1-2 of google. However, as written in my original post i then have to work on the site to maintain or lift its position. This has rang true for the 50+ sites i have built however this latest one it does not like at all. i don't get it, i've used the same on page techniques but it's not liking it.
  10. #6
  11. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,989
    Rep Power
    5749
    Originally Posted by markhincks
    No need to apologise i understand, as for the 50 for 50 on page one within the first 10 days - yes based upon the domain name e.g. if i have a site called 'www.brandnewhouses.co.uk' then do a search for 'brand new houses' within 10 days of launch i appear on page 1-2 of google. However, as written in my original post i then have to work on the site to maintain or lift its position. This has rang true for the 50+ sites i have built however this latest one it does not like at all. i don't get it, i've used the same on page techniques but it's not liking it.
    URL?
  12. #7
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    14
    www.panasoniclumixdigitalcameras.co.uk

    It's an astore.
  14. #8
  15. Digital Marketing
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    7,989
    Rep Power
    5749
    Originally Posted by markhincks
    www.panasoniclumixdigitalcameras.co.uk

    It's an astore.
    I think anything I say will be answered with "but I did that 50 times and it was ok! SO I will say nothing

    Someone else will be along to give good answers.

    Good luck!
  16. #9
  17. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,105
    Rep Power
    556
    It's probably just a more competitive term than you've previously targetted.

    Keyword in domain helps.. but it's not everything.
  18. #10
  19. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    14
    Originally Posted by KernelPanic
    I think anything I say will be answered with "but I did that 50 times and it was ok! SO I will say nothing

    Someone else will be along to give good answers.

    Good luck!
    I'm just trying to give you the full background, if i turned round and said i've created a site and it's not featuring at all you would (like you initially did) jump to the conclusion that i am new to all of this. I'm simply giving you an outline so that you don't have to ask any more questions to narrow down your thoughts on it all. I simply turned to this forum to get any extra opinions that i have yet to think of as to why this site is behaving in this way.
  20. #11
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    74
    Rep Power
    14
    Originally Posted by channel5
    It's probably just a more competitive term than you've previously targetted.

    Keyword in domain helps.. but it's not everything.
    It's actually the least competitive term i have targeted hence i chose it. Although i'm basing competition on search results for this particular term. The term i'm aiming for has 2.2million search results which is eight times less than my nearest other site which is currently 11th for the domain name keyword as it were.
  22. #12
  23. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,105
    Rep Power
    556
    Originally Posted by markhincks
    It's actually the least competitive term i have targeted hence i chose it. Although i'm basing competition on search results for this particular term. The term i'm aiming for has 2.2million search results which is eight times less than my nearest other site which is currently 11th for the domain name keyword as it were.
    Number of results and competitiveness is not the same thing.

    Just because other phrases have 16million pages that return on a search term doesn't mean the 16million sites are actively targeting that keyword.

    As you say, you've done nothing different from previously, your site is indexed and ranking for it's domain name.. it doesn't smell like a penalty or a filter, you would just seem to be being outcompeted.
  24. #13
  25. iTokas CEO
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lithuania
    Posts
    127
    Rep Power
    10
    Originally Posted by channel5
    Number of results and competitiveness is not the same thing.
    That is correct that number of results is not the competitiveness, but certainly it gives an idea about how many pages search engines find relevant to that particular keyword.

Similar Threads

  1. Website Positioning and Search Engine Ranking.
    By Corticom in forum SEO Chat Articles
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Mar 18th, 2006, 06:30 AM
  2. OH MY GOD!! seochat is #1 on New MSN Search for "Search engine optimization"
    By -search-engines-web in forum BING/Yahoo Search Optimization
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: Nov 17th, 2005, 05:06 AM
  3. Googles UNIQUE Relevancy Algorithms
    By -search-engines-web in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: Jul 29th, 2004, 01:51 PM
  4. Search engine strategies conference london report part 1
    By Webby in forum Google Optimization
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: Jul 25th, 2004, 08:49 PM

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo