Thread: Is this normal?

1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Is this normal?

Hey all, I work in a small office (only 3 people total) and between the three of us we run 3 companies, two of which are e-commerce businesses.

This is my first attempt at trying to get a site to be on the first page of natural searches, and for doing this part time only a few hours a week it's not too shabby (or at least I don't think so).

Now, I have page numbers and testing results from when we launched the site back in April but I won't post them up here unless someone requests it.

Here's the situation:

Launched a brand new site in April, I created a list of 11 search phrases and each week or so I Google them to see if we have gone up in the natural search rankings. Out of the 11 only 4 of them are the really popular phrases that the majority of people would use. What I have been seeing, and I'm not sure if this is normal is that on one search phrase we may be on page 17, but then for 2-3 weeks we'll be on page 50+ then we'll come back down to page 15. What is going on there and is that normal?

Also, we are not investing into pay-per-click, we're focusing on the natural searches, with that in mind what is a general time frame to be on page 1-3 for the majority of our search terms?

For the 4 popular search phrases this is how we're ranked (keep in mind we launched in April). Is this decent?

SP1: Page 3
    SP2: Pages 1, 6, 8
    SP3: Pages 4, 8
    SP4: Page 2

SP = Search Phrase.

Thanks for any and all input, I wish I had more time to put into this side of things as I really enjoy it.
  3. No Profile Picture

it really does depend on so many factors, the amount of competition, the phrase, the density and relevance of phrases on the site, some sites can takes months others only weeks. what is the url
  5. No Profile Picture

Well I don't want to post details as I know it's looked down upon to promote your site on these forums.

But I will give an example that should better explain. Lets say that you created very unique customer picture frames, these are equivalent search phrases.

SP1 = Custom Picture Frame
    SP2 = Picture Frame
    SP3 = Picture Frames
    SP4 = Wall Picture

As you can see, these are the 4 big ones where as the other 7 are more specific on a product(s).
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

As said, it really does depend on the competition for those phrases and without knowing the actual phrases it's difficult to work out what your competition is.

It's possible that you're also experiencing the a new site boost and you'll go back to your regular ranking soon.

What are you doing to optimise your site, link building etc?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Well done on your progress so far. Great job
    Now you need to keep going, keep building links, keep working on your content.

What you want to do is get to the number one position for all your chosen keywords
  11. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    Good progress, but keep in mind that approximately 90-98% of all clicks in the SERPs occur on the first page. Dependent upon the amount and strength of the competition, getting to the coveted top 5 positions (first page, above the fold) can be either daunting or fairly easy. Only you can decide on how high in the SERPs you want to place. It only takes time and money.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin