1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Noobie question, regarding domain names and seo

HI all.
    Ok now we know that having the domain name the same as your web site content (IE if your a clown car builder your domain name is clowncarbuilders.com) is always very good for SEO.

I have a few questions regarding this.

1) does the domain suffix make a diffrence? IE is .com better than .co.uk? are they country specific so if your in the UK it will prefer .co.uk sufixes? what about the odd ball ones like .me.uk ? any diffrence or preference by search engine?

2) does a search engine read the domain as a single word or can it pick out sections. (IE if a site is called widgets.com and another widgetsusa.com and a person searches for widgets, will it pick out the widgets.com but not the widgetsusa.com because it reads the whole domain as a single word?)

3) how does a dash in the domain effect the results? (IE widgets-usa.com)

4) Is it good or bad to have a site and a domain. Then buy several other domains and point them to the same site (to make use of having domain names relevent to the content) So they are all pointing to the same index page.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by fgp123; Jan 16th, 2010 at 03:52 PM.
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    If your assumption is correct... then Google.com is good for anybody searching for a google, Yahoo.com is good for anyone searching for a yahoo, wikipedia.com is great for finding wikepedia builders; same is true of people that want to find an amazon (Amazon.com builds amazons). Right?

Bottomline: Select a url that is easy to remember for your potential users/visitors. Focus on your content and backlinks.

Comments on this post

• barlow1984 agrees
    • distinctseo agrees : domains for branding not for SEO!
    • Zagek agrees
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. Twitter: @barlow1984
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

You're looking way to much into this really, time would be better spent developing killer content and generating quality backlinks.

At the end of the day if your site works well and google see's it to be an authority it could be called pretty much anything and rank. Take something like perez hilton site as an example, it has bugger all in the URL to do with celebs but it ranks number 2 when I search 'celeb gossip'.

If you want to do geo targeting then there are better ways, pick a URL that someone will remember, its more to draw people and make people come back than an SEO tool in my opinion.
    Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
  7. No Profile Picture

Why not decline the picture ?

Hi.I was the chief time ...Why not stand avatar on list ?Thank you all for your help.

Comments on this post

• distinctseo
  9. No Profile Picture

Hello,just want to ask regarding domain names payments,where should we pay for the domain names? thanks. . .
  11. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    You send it to my PayPal account...
  13. No Profile Picture

What if i want to pay in cash? where should? and how much is the cost of the domain the .com. . thanks
  15. Twitter: @barlow1984
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

have you tried this wonderful thing called the internet?

I very much doubt that there are many places that you can pay by cash though.

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo