1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Is non relative content hurting my website?

Hi Guys,

I have a website in the "web design" niche. There was couple of small businesses that went out of business and let their websites expire. I had done some good work on these websites, so I decided to keep some of the content on my website under my portfolio. At First I thought this was the reason my website rankings dropped after penguin but then I added the urls of those few directories to my robots.txt so Google does not index them. I also submitted requests to Google to remove the urls from the index. If I do a search in Google like site:http://mywebsite.com I still see pages from those directories under omitted results but under each page it says:

"A description for this result is not available because of this site's robots.txt learn more."

So my question is, you guys think this is still hurting my website ? If I think it's pretty obvious to me that a website for web design has content from "construction", "music" etc. But I thought because I have blocked the urls with the robots file I might be ok.

Please advise what do you guys think.

Thank you!
  3. Online Business Builder
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

off topic content can't hurt your ranking if it is limited to few pages. however you have to make those description unique. What Google suggests you can't use duplicate content on your website. If you are dealer, you can't copy product description from manufacturer's website.

Also penguin targets web spam not duplicate content.
    Lead, follow or leave the way...
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Thanks for your reply! All that content only exists on my website. The original websites do not exist anymore, it's been years those websites were taken off so that content is not in Google's index anymore, that is why I don't think duplicate content is an issue here.

My website is not that big, it has about 10 pages, and then I had about 10 pages showing from few pf these websites which are totally off topic.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Guess there is only one way to find out. I am going to remove all that content and see what happens. Any body else any thoughts ?
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

Can't tell with-out looking at the url.
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

If it were me, I'd use images in a slide show to display your portfolio of web pages. IMHO you want all text on your site to be about your services, not some random topics from your prior customer's long gone site. I know you de-indexed the pages, but by using images to show your work you have the opportunity to add textual content that re-enforces your theme.

Also, from a marketing standpoint, I'd try not to showcase dead web sites. Your potential customers may try to find those sites to get a reference from the owner, and after realizing they don't exist, wonder if YOUR design was a reason for their demise (or wonder if they ever existed in the first place).

Ed
    Last edited by eddyf; Jan 16th, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi Eddy,
    Thanks for the reply, I have removed all that content and added an image gallery for all the websites.

Thanks