1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Noindex, Follow for Duplicate Landing Pages

I have a website promoting few software products. I also have a number of slightly customized landing pages for these same products (most duplicated content from product pages), which I use for the various advertising campaigns.

(1) Am I right to say that such landing pages should not be indexed by search engines?

This will help me remove any duplicate content from search engines and the main product pages will have unique content.

(2) Since these landing pages have PR (users actually link to them too) and do actually link to the original product pages themselves, will it be ideal to use the noindex, follow meta tag?

This way will not have the landing pages indexed, but any link juice that these pages have is partially forwarded to the main product pages. Is this acceptable in terms of white hat SEO?

Thanks
    Last edited by malta; Jul 22nd, 2008 at 09:27 AM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

If you've got two pages with the sameish copy and both with PR (which I can't see happening personally) then why change it? Google sees them as useful resources, and is happy with them in their current state. Noindexing them may cause Google to look at your site and go hmm, why's this happened...
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

You must use a redirect 301 and get rid of the second copy

Originally Posted by malta
    I have a website promoting few software products. I also have a number of slightly customized landing pages for these same products (most duplicated content from product pages), which I use for the various advertising campaigns.

(1) Am I right to say that such landing pages should not be indexed by search engines?

This will help me remove any duplicate content from search engines and the main product pages will have unique content.

(2) Since these landing pages have PR (users actually link to them too) and do actually link to the original product pages themselves, will it be ideal to use the noindex, follow meta tag?

This way will not have the landing pages indexed, but any link juice that these pages have is partially forwarded to the main product pages. Is this acceptable in terms of white hat SEO?

Thanks
  7. Search Engine Obsessed
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

If you've got two pages with the sameish copy and both with PR (which I can't see happening personally) then why change it?
    Of course both pages can have PR.

Look at wordpress blog for example, so many dupe pages it's unreal, because of the cats and such.

I simply used robots.txt and told it not to index the pages and sections that I didn't want it to.

Google isn't going to look at your site and think "hmmm why is he doing this". Google isn't retarded and will be aware of the possible reasons, none of them dodgy.
  9. Live and Learn!
    SEO Chat Skiller (1500 - 1999 posts)

Originally Posted by malta

Thanks
    Yes just make sure you use the meta noindex on it and google will ignore them.

This way you can create your campaigns for advertisers and not worry about any reprecusions from google.