1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

NoFollow External links or Internal links?

For the moment im using the nofollow only on the external links. i have heard that if i use the nofollow on the internal links also ill get a higher PageRank (have 5 for the moment). Is that correct?

if i use the nofollow on internal links, doesn't that mean that "i do not approve" of this links and ill only punishing myself?

i have seen sites that use the nofollow on both external and internal links and they have a lot higher PR than i have even if i have lots more incoming links (with higer PR sites) than theirs.
  3. shuffle up and deal
    SEO Chat Super Hero (2500 - 2999 posts)

For what its worth I don't think that you should use no follow for external links. If you are linking to another site because you value what they have to offer and feel it beneficial to your visitors then they have earned the link. If everyone did this we would all be screwed.

Using no follow on your internal links can allow you to control the flow of PR around your site. i.e you might want to no follow links to pages like about us etc

Be very careful not to limit PR to important pages within your site. There is no point in having a Home Page with PR5 if the rest of your pages don't have any PR and as a result end up in the supplemental index and don't therefore rank for your chosen terms.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Super Genius (4500 - 4999 posts)

No Follow

I've heard that you should use nofollow links when linking to irrelevant content, but I've never had the chance to use that advice. I try only to link to relevant content.

I'd also like to hear what people have to say about your question, though.
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    I've heard that you should use nofollow links when linking to irrelevant content, but I've never had the chance to use that advice. I try only to link to relevant content.
    I'd also like to hear what people have to say about your question, though.
    I agree with the premises that you should use "no-follow" if you are linking to an irrelevant site, but what I don't understand is why would you link to an irrelevant site in the first place? How does that add value to your site? I am glad you don't.
    I do use "no-follow" for internal links, only when out of necessity, there are too many links to the same internal page.

raz
    #include <Cognac.h> -The only code I know How to Write!
  9. Super Moderator

Page rank sculpting in my opinion is a waste of time. I use the nofollow internally to increase anchor text density pointing to my internal pages. In other words, I nofollow a global link that says "home" and allow my in-content links to tell SE's what the page is about.
    Work Smarter, Not Harder
  11. Contributing User

Originally Posted by raz
    I do use "no-follow" for internal links, only when out of necessity, there are too many links to the same internal page.
    Too many links to the same internal page? I didn't know this could be a problem.
  13. Contributing User

Originally Posted by googler
    I nofollow a global link that says "home" and allow my in-content links to tell SE's what the page is about.
    Would this be a better practice than eliminating the "home" link altogether, and just having your logo, or your main keyword as your main link to the home page?
  15. Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jsteele823
    Would this be a better practice than eliminating the "home" link altogether, and just having your logo, or your main keyword as your main link to the home page?
    In my experience I would rather have a user friendly site... that being said they expect a home link and a universal, intuitive navigation structure. They dont want to see used cars on one page and the same link say late model used cars on the next...

I utilize my content to give keyword links throughout my internal pages and have a nofollow global navigation for usefullness to the visitor in most cases.

There are scenarios where a keyword anchor is useful in a navigation structure i.e categories in a store. In those cases I would stay away from the nofollow but all in all I dont spend much time on it as the in content links and incoming links is what will keep me on the first page.

Global anchor text links whether they be in the footer, navigation or wherever tend to be devalued dramatically, even more so than internal links already are...
  17. Contributing User

Originally Posted by googler
    In my experience I would rather have a user friendly site... that being said they expect a home link and a universal, intuitive navigation structure. They dont want to see used cars on one page and the same link say late model used cars on the next...
    Good point. I was thinking more in terms of a smaller site, such as a five page site where three of the pages are contact, about, and photos. In a case like that it seems it would be just as friendly to use a keyword.

But I definitely agree with making a site user-friendly. It just seems to me that people are getting more and more used to being able to click a logo at the top of the page to return to the website's home page.
  19. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by lewisdb
    Using no follow on your internal links can allow you to control the flow of PR around your site. i.e you might want to no follow links to pages like about us etc

Be very careful not to limit PR to important pages within your site. There is no point in having a Home Page with PR5 if the rest of your pages don't have any PR and as a result end up in the supplemental index and don't therefore rank for your chosen terms.
    agree with u but a bit confusion on it ....

if we have site whose footer links are include as sitewide... and can we use nofollow tag for aboutus and contactus page ? without any linking will those pages get crawl by search engines ??
  21. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

if you are going to nofollow internal links then pages like "about us", etc, as you listed are good candidates. so too might be thin navigational type pages or say pages with duplicate content.

Originally Posted by Puneet Thakkar
    agree with u but a bit confusion on it ....

if we have site whose footer links are include as sitewide... and can we use nofollow tag for aboutus and contactus page ? without any linking will those pages get crawl by search engines ??