1. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

No Description OR Title

Recently I 301 redirected a subdomain of mine that had mirrored content of the main domain except just had a different header. On some searches the subdomain would show up and on others my main domain would show up. So I redirected because I want my main domain to only show up.

Problem is that since I redirected all the subdomain pages to my main domain, my main domain name pages that were indexed are now missing a title and description. And this isn't for one or two but about 20,000 pages with no description or title. Well this is hurting traffic.

I thought if I redirected the affiliate subdomain I would get a bump up on my domain name as I 301ed the pages to my main domain but this doesn't seem to be the case. Traffic is lower than it was before.

1. I did the redirect about 1.5 weeks ago.
    2. The redirect was for about 20,000 pages.

Anyone ever see this or experience this before???
    When can I begin to see descriptions and titles??
    Would a 301 redirect screw my traffic so much because my main domain now has some trouble ranking well since I redirect the sub to it?!

Thanks
    -PK
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

I've seen this happen more frequently if those other pages had the same title as the other pages that were highly ranked.

It seems a mirror of the title across many pages is seriously hurting results and offering up alot more of supplemental results that have no titles or descriptions on them.

Does this sound like it could be it? I would imagine you would have your titles change but when there is 20k or more i can also see them having very similiar if not exact titles.
  5. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

It's normal... you probably will want to wait another couple weeks for the redirection to completely "soak in".

- Shawn
  7. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I know it takes awhile BUT is it normal for all my pages to be missing a description and a title?? I have a few more subdomains that are identical but only a header is different and those are missing titles and descriptions too. Those weren't even redirected either.

I'm trying to get this whole subdomain thing under control because I'm trying to concentrate everything on the main site not the affiliates.
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Yeah, the missing title/description typically means it has seen the redirect from the old domain, but has not yet completely followed it. It should work itself out.

- Shawn