1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Niche site or Article on Main site

I've been viewing the very interesting video on backlinking strategies here:
    http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/the-backlinking-strategy-that-works/

The strategy seems to make perfect sense, however I have a question about this method.

Suppose I have an established site with thousands of monthly visitors. As an example imagine my site is about mobile devices in general, so e.g. www.mobiledevices.com

Now I want to write about a particular app for IPhone and promote it to earn commissions, say this app is for DJing. Would it be better to write an article about the app on my existing site, or create a totally new niche site e.g. www.djappforiphone.com?

I've been thinking about the pros and cons, and here's what I came up with:

**In favour of a niche site:**

* Full flexibility with regards to design and content style
    * Less risk if the site gets hit by any Google penalties
    * Ability to choose a specific keyword rich URL
    * More freedom to write in any style than when writing on the main site

**In favour of an article on existing site**

* Immediate visibility to existing readership levels
    * An extra article for the existing site, more content is always good
    * No need to buy another domain, set up hosting etc.

Of course the ultimate aim is to get as high as possible in Google for the chosen keyword, then convert visitors into customers for the product I would be promoting.

What are your thoughts on this dilemma? Thanks
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by drtanz
    I've been viewing the very interesting video on backlinking strategies here:
    http://www.smartpassiveincome.com/the-backlinking-strategy-that-works/

The strategy seems to make perfect sense, however I have a question about this method.

Suppose I have an established site with thousands of monthly visitors. As an example imagine my site is about mobile devices in general, so e.g. www.mobiledevices.com

Now I want to write about a particular app for IPhone and promote it to earn commissions, say this app is for DJing. Would it be better to write an article about the app on my existing site, or create a totally new niche site e.g. www.djappforiphone.com?

I've been thinking about the pros and cons, and here's what I came up with:

**In favour of a niche site:**

* Full flexibility with regards to design and content style
    * Less risk if the site gets hit by any Google penalties
    * Ability to choose a specific keyword rich URL
    * More freedom to write in any style than when writing on the main site

**In favour of an article on existing site**

* Immediate visibility to existing readership levels
    * An extra article for the existing site, more content is always good
    * No need to buy another domain, set up hosting etc.

Of course the ultimate aim is to get as high as possible in Google for the chosen keyword, then convert visitors into customers for the product I would be promoting.

What are your thoughts on this dilemma? Thanks
    I don't really see the connection between that video and your question.

That video is nothing but a old technique called link wheel, plus the trick of using automated submissions of crap content on the so called anchor layer rather than directly on your site in order to avoid or reduce risk. I am not here to comment whether this will work or not, chances are it sometimes does and most other times doesn't. The problem with link wheel is that most of the time it's all rubbish content on rubbish sites, and probably only shows a bit of positive effect in non competitive market, mark his word of Niche.

It is bleeding obvious that he is writing this article to promote the affiliate tools, where he gets money.

In your case, whether you use the existing site or a new site, you need the site to rank (in the video he doesn't care a bit about all the other sites). Personally I would put it onto my existing site as long as my guts tell me that the article is closely related to my site and would be of useful read to my visitors.
    Last edited by NMmarketing; Mar 8th, 2012 at 08:04 AM.
  5. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Thanks, am I right in assuming the directs links are still useful link building techniques? Such as if I write articles on Squidoo, Wordpress.com blogs etc? I would point them all to the article on my site. The ultimate aim is to write an article and have it rank highly in Google, hence the importance of link building and the video in my original post.
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Originally Posted by drtanz
    Thanks, am I right in assuming the directs links are still useful link building techniques? Such as if I write articles on Squidoo, Wordpress.com blogs etc? I would point them all to the article on my site. The ultimate aim is to write an article and have it rank highly in Google, hence the importance of link building and the video in my original post.
    I wouldn't want to say this but I think any link can give you a bit of push, large or small.

We for our business also use squidoo and wordpress blogs, although we do have a blog on our domain as well. At the end of the day, it is about resources. For example, if you have limited time in writing, you probably only want to produce good articles and put them on your own site; when you write these articles, you probably do proper keyword research and make sure that the subject is related and the ranking of the article will bring you something. However if you have more resources in content development, for example if you hire freelance writers, or even higher students to write up cheap quick articles, you probably can build up a few properties in the public domain, expand your subject dome (to larger area but still related. For example, if your site is about iPad and you expand to mobile technology), keep publishing those lower quality articles onto those properties.

If you have only limited time, and only a couple of good articles a week, do you really want to put them on squidoo (of course if your squidoo is good and makes you money, that would be a different story).