1. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

niche finding tool..

So today i wrote some nice little perl scripts that combine several sources of data available publicly with some analysis and keyword discovery stuff to help find good target niches..

I think this might be a usefull tool to offer people but i'm not quite sure how to best execute it and i'd like to talk with someone who has written a decent tool for seo help..

anyone have any advice?
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Not sure what is meant by 'niche' here... sounds like an interesting piece of code, though.. Mind disclosing a little more..?

5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Post doh..

i'm sick and didnt mean to post it in this thread.. =P
    Last edited by juice; Oct 13th, 2004 at 01:43 AM.
  7. Contributing User

Originally Posted by juice
    i'm sick and didnt mean to post it in this thread.. =P
    thrilling. ;-)
  9. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

Well dont leave the users hanging!! At least post the thread you did move this convo to!

-PK
  11. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

right now.. the rough model of the tool is..

it takes input from a search monitor from one search engine and takes a sampling of the terms people search for takes those queries and trys to evaluate them to locate which ones might be promissing..

i take each query and first check how many pages in google it returns.. then see how many times overture says it came up last month.. i'm working on adding in support for a couple of other services like the 'difficulty checker' etc.

my goal was to take this sampling of keywords and get a rough value for each one that I could monitor and look for niche's that were ripe for pursuing.. for example.. keywords that maybe have less than 50k pages but might have 30k+ searches a month.. or 10k pages and 5k searches.. i have a couple of other ideas to add to it .. such as doing link checks and seo analysis on the top 10 results for that keyword to determine the difficulty in reaching the top 10 in that category as well..

what do you guys think of this?
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Originally Posted by juice
    right now.. the rough model of the tool is..

it takes input from a search monitor from one search engine and takes a sampling of the terms people search for takes those queries and trys to evaluate them to locate which ones might be promissing..

i take each query and first check how many pages in google it returns.. then see how many times overture says it came up last month.. i'm working on adding in support for a couple of other services like the 'difficulty checker' etc.

my goal was to take this sampling of keywords and get a rough value for each one that I could monitor and look for niche's that were ripe for pursuing.. for example.. keywords that maybe have less than 50k pages but might have 30k+ searches a month.. or 10k pages and 5k searches.. i have a couple of other ideas to add to it .. such as doing link checks and seo analysis on the top 10 results for that keyword to determine the difficulty in reaching the top 10 in that category as well..

what do you guys think of this?
    sounds good.

Are you planning on using other cirteria as well such as:

BL's and quality of
    Credibility
    Word saturations
    etc.

?Just wondering?
  15. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

There are lots of things I would like to add to it.. just not sure on the ease of automating certain searches.. or setting a priority and bounds for the checks.. like "if more than 12 million results found.. mark it as hard and skip the rest"..

the problem is i'm not sure how to make this useful for others.. for myself I can already find use in it.. as it could just scour the searches and look for hits then report to me the areas i should investigate further.. but would people want just pages of terms with their scores and explanation of the score?

if someone had experience developing such tools i would like to work with them or possibly share ideas/code to produce a better tool..

I know a lot of people get stuck trying to find an area they should investigate and can't come up with ideas for sites.. thought something like this would be a big help in those cases..
  17. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

actually.. one question i have is..

i've noticed some tools that display google results don't use the API or don't seem to at least.. such as prog.. but others such as the difficulty checker make the user specify their own api key..

do tools that just parse the google results then redisplay them with their own twists face problems with google.. possible ip might be blocked? sites on that ip blocked from serps?

if the best case to make a user submit their own google api key?

anyone run into this?