1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Question Newbie: Site redesign affecting rank ?

Hi,

I am currently the owner and operator of a programming/developmet site with a few tutorials on C#, some mathematical logic history and a personal blog.

The site has been around for a bit more than a year now, with a monthly traffic of around 4-5,000 visitors.

The site is pretty plain and not well organized. I used a free template and also downloaded a blog software that i added on top.

I decided that i need to change the look and feel of the site and make it more appealing.I host it on IIS server with ASP.NET.

I have the following questions:

1) IF I restructure the site, and loose all the links that various sites point to specific

pages, can i remedy by some redirection script(s) ??? Will this affect the my ranking? It will be transparent to the user but how about the bots and general ranking mechanisms?? If yes were can i get such a tool?

2) I was thiking of a free CMS based on asp.net. It will allow me to manage my site easier.This will create links like:
    www.mysite.com/tutorials/asp.asp?M=838291&T=838291&F=20&P=1 , etc.
    Is this bad ? Does Google (and other SE's) like "clean" paths?

Thank you in advance for your comments and help!
    Steve
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

In my experience redesigns can be bad if you change all the content of pages, structure and end up with 404's all at once.

My suggestiosn would be to start reorganising the information / content as you would want it, stay clear of too many query variables, and the possibility of duplicate content as a result. Once you have reorganised your info, then do a redesign in terms of the look of the site. Also make sure you have 301 redirects from any pages that no longer exist. All this would need to be done in stages keeping an eye on each Google crawl / cache.

In the real world we put the final redesign live in one go, but Goog doesn't like this...and gets confused and then you end up in limbo...my experience anyway.

Comments on this post

• incdeveloper agrees : on most of it