1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

newbie questions regarding additional microsites

Hi All,

I have a main site that currently ranks well in google. I have purchased six additional domain names that I feel really describe my product.

i was thinking of creating six one page microsites that describe the product in detail that also links back to my main site. Is this the best way to utilise my additional URL or does anybody have any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

James
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

No, you'll get into hot water with Google for doing this as it is basically scamming and it might have little effect now that Exact Match Domains are no longer what they used to be.

So instead of creating a microsite called www.product1indetail.com create a page on your main site called www.mysite.com/product1indetail/ - this will rank better.

Or ideally just make your product page more detailed so you give Google more to bite on and make sure your product page is fully optimised - URL / Title tag / etc.
    Learn SEO and Online Marketing with Doodleddoes or follow me on Google+ at https://plus.google.com/+TimHillDoodled/
  5. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Probably not a good idea, especially if the six domains are new, have no links, no authority etc. May be a better idea to build one all powerfull site covering your your "Product/s"

I once had a client (not seo client, but someone who asked me to build him a site) who built microsites like this. I told him it was a complete waste of time. He insisted he knew better and did it anyway, even paying me for 7 individual sites, BONUS. It did him no good whatsoever.
    Last edited by Glenn Kilpatric; Jan 16th, 2013 at 06:49 AM.
    All The Fun Of The Fair !!!
  7. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Hey, thanks for the information

Is there any way i can use these additional URL's to my advantage?
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by maisyweb
    Hey, thanks for the information

Is there any way i can use these additional URL's to my advantage?
    If they don't have traffic... not really.
    If you were doing a big marketing push you could use one as a tracking domain with a redirect.
    You can redirect them all and just sit on them.

Many people misunderstand "microsites" the 'big boys' talk about them and everyone figures they are a good idea. If apple makes a 'microsite' to promote one particular product or home depot makes one for 'scotts turfbuilder' and points back to their site for the sale, well that could work. A site all about one particular new Ipod can have marketing advantages, and google isn't going to see a site with thousands upon thousands of hits, pointing at a site with millions as likely to be spam.
    For most companies though micro-sites have always been a waste of resources that could go toward making your main site better, and now are a downright liability with google's new algorithms.
  11. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

One thing you can do is use them in off line campaigns and determine how effective each campaign is.

URL #1: Direct Mail
    URL #2: Trade Show
    URL #3: Local Radio
    URL #4: Magazine

Usually, with one URL it is very difficult to qualify the value of off-line marketing methods.

This might be one potential use for your domains. Just have them redirect to your main site.