1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Newbie Question - Should I start posting to my blog before the design is completed?

My business partner and I are starting a lead-gen and lead-distribution company for a small niche. We have a graphic designer and coder working on the site, but it won't be fully complete for the next 45 days.

We know it will built on the WordPress CMS, and we're having a premium theme customized and installed.

The site is technically live, although not really functional yet.

Here's my question - should I start posting to the blog page on the site, even though the site isn't completed, simply to alert Google to start indexing it at a regular clip?

My goal is to post one informational article per day (300 words or so) for the next 45 days.

Obviously, I'm asking for opinion, but should I hold the articles until the site is truly done, or keep posting to build relevance and authority?

Thanks in advance!
    D.J.
  3. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Adventurer (500 - 999 posts)

Originally Posted by kaizen_66
    My business partner and I are starting a lead-gen and lead-distribution company for a small niche. We have a graphic designer and coder working on the site, but it won't be fully complete for the next 45 days.

We know it will built on the WordPress CMS, and we're having a premium theme customized and installed.

The site is technically live, although not really functional yet.

Here's my question - should I start posting to the blog page on the site, even though the site isn't completed, simply to alert Google to start indexing it at a regular clip?

My goal is to post one informational article per day (300 words or so) for the next 45 days.

Obviously, I'm asking for opinion, but should I hold the articles until the site is truly done, or keep posting to build relevance and authority?

Thanks in advance!
    D.J.
    I'd start blogging with the standard template, like you said to build relevance and authority. It will give you small headstart of a month, Google cares not much about design, your visitors might. But even if you do not cator to any visitor during that period, your site will have an age and maybe some incoming links, when it is fully launched. Its a natural progression for websites, and maybe good for users, but also for search engines.

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : Make new content anytime you can!

Following these recommendations should increase the likelihood that your site will show up consistently in the search results.
  5. SEO Consultant
    SEO Chat Genius (4000 - 4499 posts)

I second that. Content is what search engines want. By posting now you will be giving your self a good base from which to do a full website launch.

You can effecitvely treat this as a soft launch.
  7. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Websites are for visitors not search engines—that's where your conversions are. SEO lies in the content's ability to get relevant, quality back links. Make sure your designer/developer puts a good bit of thought into the placement of the navigation and the naming of navigation links to give you maximum relevancy.

IMHO 300 word articles don't have enough meat to be high quality content. I shoot for 750 words. Not so long the visitors don't read it and not so short it doesn't have any red meat.
    Frankly, I wonder who Frank is and why he has his own adverb.
  9. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

@ Dj

I think you should hold until the site is done.
  11. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by bizminder
    I think you should hold until the site is done.
    Astounding that you should give contrary advice to all other posters here and yet not justify your comment with any reasoning!

Comments on this post

• EGOL agrees : lol... I do that all of the time. :)
    ClickyB
    "The quality of the visitor is more important than the volume..." (Egol 22nd Feb 2008)
    [New to SEO/SeoChat?] [Canonical Problems?] [Forum Rules & Posting Guidelines]
  13. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

Hi,

My name is Victor. I am new to this forum, and this will be my second post.

I agree with the first couple of posters. Start blogging with a standard template - it will give you relevance and authority indeed, and your articles will be indexed earlier.

At the very least, make sure that your design is easy to navigate and friendly for visitors. You do not have to worry about the attractiveness of your design for now, since in most cases, visitors mainly care about the words. They are plenty of 'ugly' sites that are successful, because they are user-friendly and have excellent content.

Ask yourself, what will work better - a nice design without words, or an ugly/boring design with words?
  15. Poker Chick
    SEO Chat Good Citizen (1000 - 1499 posts)

Originally Posted by thewalkmen
    Ask yourself, what will work better - a nice design without words, or an ugly/boring design with words?
    It depends on the purpose of the site. Informational sites can be ugly. Portfolio sites cannot. eCommerce sites need to build trust so they need to look professionally done which usually means they are not ugly.
  17. No Profile Picture

Yes I think you should start writing your blog before uploading your full site.
    But, it is better to first complete your full site, then write the blog, do some seo work.
    Once I also have done this, I started my blog by giving the blog link in my site and I got very good and quick results.
    When you will complete your site, the blog pages will have been indexed and you will have build a community also.
  19. Super Moderator
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Originally Posted by manadam7
    Yes I think you should start writing your blog before uploading your full site.
    But, it is better to first complete your full site, then write the blog, do some seo work.
    ....mmm'kay... so start writing before uploading, but complete it THEN write it...

So you complete it first
    (then you start writing it, then you upload it)...

Thanks for clearing that up
  21. No Profile Picture
    Permanently Banned

Smile

Hi, IMHO, you are right to start posting to the blog page now. As to blogs it is important to keep content current.

Since you have already the exact plan, you can post regularly now. That is highly feasible.

There is no need to save your articles till all are ready and complete.