1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

Newbett needs help

Hi guys, I hope someone can answer what Im sure is a dumb question, but here goes.

I have a site hosted through blowdaddy, its a shared server. Its linux, apache, php and I run oscommerce to sell my artwork and illustrations.
    The oscommerce is installed in a sub-directory called catalog. I have of course a index.php in my root and I use it to populate with static content, links and to direct peeps to the osc index in /catalog.
    Does it matter or will it hurt if I change the index.php to .htm in my root? The site has been up for couple months a I have good serp due the somewhat unique artwork I create.

Will I blow my current serp or create issues with the index page in the root if it did change to .htm?

Sorry for the newbness but I just had to ask.

Thnx bunches for any help =)

Steelgoddess

O and one more thing, if I did change it would it matter if I changed to .htm by just ftp and rename to index.htm or do a save as from dreamweaver?

Thnx
    Last edited by steelgoddess; Aug 7th, 2006 at 06:50 PM.
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

1. You can rename the file via FTP. No need to use DW.

2. In most cases, it will have no affect on your rankings, but there are exceptions, which can be resolved as well. If you have links from OTHER web sites to the page you are going to change that point specifically to:
    www.yourdomain.com/catalog/index.php, you will no longer get credit for those links. Also if you have such links in your own site, they will lose value.

On you own site, if this is the case, change all such links to /catalog/ instead and the issue will be resolved. To resolve the issue if you have links on other sites as described above, you'll want to redirect them to the correct URL. You can do this by creating a new index.php page after you rename the current one. Use the following content for that page:

PHP Code:
    <?php 

header
    ("HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently"); 
    header("Location: http://www.yourdomain.com/catalog/"); 
    exit(); 

?>
    <html>
    <head></head>
    <body></body>
    </html>

"Live never to be ashamed of what is written about you. Even if what is written is not true" -- Richard Bach

Yahoo Store SEO

IMN logo majestic logo threadwatch logo seochat tools logo