1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

New site, well built, good quality back links, 1000+ links daily, still low google

I have recently re built my site from the ground up, new CSS site with good original content, no broken links, good navigation, blog, newsletter, no black hat trickery, cms built using Moving Type, lots of very good relevant back links and I am getting over 1000+ visits a day from relevant referrals.

This is all looking great and I'm really excited. The only thing is, my natural search results aren't improving, you cant find my site for any of my key words, such as branding london, or branding consultancy etc. I have checked competitors and they seem to have less relevant content, less relevant title words, less relevant domain names, weaker back links and yet they do far, far better than me in natural search results. I know that the age of a domian name is important, and I do in fact have a version of my name pointing to an older version of my site, I will point the old name via 301 redirect soon, but I thought I would see what happens if I try to do everything in the correct away from the outset.

If I was getting page 3, 4, 5.... I would be happy, as it would show that I was getting somewhere, but unless I put the actual company name in I don't get anywhere.

Does it take a while for Google to trust your site activity? any thoughts?
  3. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

We would need to know a couple of things to do with the old site.

Does it show up for any of your keywords, how old is it?

On your new site, how old is its domain? and how long has your new website development been live?

Do you know if all your pages on your new site have been indexed by Google yet?

Cheers

Angus
  5. No Profile Picture

wow, quick response, thank you!

time and activity
    ok, the new site is about 3 months old, the domain name is about 4 months old, until 3 weeks ago we only had around 30 visits per day. Since getting links from good associated sites I have increased that to 1-2k links per day.

Keywords
    The only key words it shows up is if I put our company name as part of the search criteria i.e. branding rareform or strategy rareform, also, if I put part of my page title in i.e. 'branding & brand communications' I get a No1 first page result, which is great! but to be honest, I would like to get a result for page 3,4,5... for a more generic term such as branding consultancy, or branding agency.

Pages being indexed
    I have been viewing Google Analytics and it tells me that most of our pages are indexed, although not all.

Does that help!
  7. No Profile Picture
    Contributing User

In my opinion, patience will be the key for you. Your site is young. Domain, content and link age are all important.

Don't "stop" your optimisation, it is never "done" just keep adding content, and links, over time.

Get your 301s done though.

Cheers

Angus
  9. No Profile Picture

Thank you Angus, I really appreciate your view. I will give it some time and see what happens. I assume that Google will pick up the site results at some point and start to bring us to the level I'm hoping for.

Cheers! Joe
  11. from the horses mouth
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

It sounds like you started with a new domain name and new url structure.

If this is the case then you are starting from scratch hence your poor rankings.

Did you employ any 301 redirects?
  13. No Profile Picture

Hi,

I did exactly that, basically I decided to start the site from new and wanted to change everything, domain name, hosting service, content, everything. The old site had a similar name but its a variation of the new name. I used to get some good results 5 years ago on the old site, but was very busy for years and ignored the old site, then decided to start from scratch.

I had an additional site that was a UAE site, but used a 301 on that site to the new one, but I didnt get a lot of traffic to that site in the first place. I am tempted to re direct the old domain to the new server using a 301 redirect, but I am nervous of losing the ranking I get from that site, plus, not sure how much difference it will make.

I am currently assuming that I have many things in place at the moment, but as it is a new domain Google is thinking it could be being duped and not giving me the ranking that maybe we deserve.

Could that be the case?