1. No Profile Picture
    SEO Chat Explorer (0 - 99 posts)

New to SEO, have optimized page but struggling with off-page!

Hey guys,

I'm quite a newbie when it comes to SEO and am looking for a bit of a guiding hand at this point.

I've just finished designing my company's new website. The domain itself was registered in 2000, so it's a fairly old site.
    I started by doing some keyword analysis using Google Adwords' Keywords tool to find terms that were mostly low-to-medium competitiveness in my country. Following that I did a considerable amount of on-page SEO, from titles, to meta tags, to keywords etc. I'm just busy finishing the Blog section of the site, then I think I'll have considerable amount of good, optimized content which I can readily update. I've also setup Facebook and Twitter accounts which I'm trying to promote.

Unfortunately, I'm now at a stumbling block. I've got a great site, but no inbound links. I have no idea how to even build any links. I simply have no idea where to go. I read a basic guide on SEO a while back which helped with all the on-page SEO, but off-page I'm completely lost. Unfortunately my budget is quite low so I can't afford to hire professionals to do the work for me. I'm of the opinion that you always get what you pay for, so I'd rather not skimp by hiring someone cheaply and risk damaging my SEO. People keep telling me I need to comment on blogs, but I have no idea where to find the blogs or what to comment and they tell me to negotiate links, but I have no idea who to negotiate with and what I'd give in return (considering my site gets barely any traffic at this point)?

The question is, where to from here? What tools would you guys recommend for beginners to achieve some off-page success on a very limited budget? What steps should I take to push me past this wall I'm stuck at?

Thanks!

Grant
  3. B afraid.. B very afraid!
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Land of enchantment... deserts of the Southwest
    You can start by reading/studying/understanding the information in each of our stickies in our sub-forums. Also, you can then become conversant with the information provided below at my signature. Once you read/know/understand that information, come back and ask questions.
    ...Never mistake activity for achievement...

...Wise men don't need advice. Fools won't take it....
    Benjamin Franklin
  5. No Profile Picture

Originally Posted by SEO_AM
    You can start by reading/studying/understanding the information in each of our stickies in our sub-forums. Also, you can then become conversant with the information provided below at my signature. Once you read/know/understand that information, come back and ask questions.
    Ok, thanks!
  7. Contributing
    SEO Chat Hero (2000 - 2499 posts)

You have to show your site on other busier sites. Look at some people's colorful and big signature here... they show it off to get visits.
    Bots will find you pages if you get at least one link, but showing on other sites, even with nofollow, will also help.
    It takes time... good luck !
    Disclaimer : My posts on SEO are just from my observations and I do not say it is a true fact... A real fact of life is that, I'm often wrong...
  9. SEO Since 97
    SEO Chat Mastermind (5000+ posts)

Sounds like your doing a good job. Making your site acceptable to good keywords is the first step and adding a blog is a good second step. Links would be your stage 3, which is the hardest, but many sites don't need a whole lot of links, a few good links can do the trick. Like SEO_AM said read about it, get a little more verse in the topic and ask questions. It's not a one answer fits all.
  11. No Profile Picture

Thanks i waana know about seo more.
  13. Contributing User
    SEO Chat Discoverer (100 - 499 posts)

Hi chopsky,

Do you have at least one linkable asset? By which I mean some piece of content that you have produced/curated that offers unique value. Site owners won't link to just anything, there must be substance that offers additional to their site and audience. Think about what you can offer that no-one else does (or at least that no-one does well).

Jon Cooper covers a number of link building tactics here (Link Building Strategies - The Complete List) also.

I hope that helps
    Rick
    Like my answer above? I am all over Google+! You may also like my SEO Audit Cheat Sheet.
  15. No Profile Picture
    Banned

U can find off page seo trick and tips from so many website and u can start yourself doing it.
  17. No Profile Picture

anybody give me tips to improve the ranking

im new to SEO, my site rank going downwards.how can i improve the rank. how to do link building?
  19. No Profile Picture

You are definitely on the right track chopsky. Now comes the fun part! I would recommend getting a list of your top competitors and and find out who is linking to them. Get in there are and get your hands dirty with some Competitive Analysis, off page SEO, social media recon, and Backlinks research . It is time consuming however, it will only strengthen your skills.